Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone , I might be trading my 2003 mountain cat for a 2004 mxz 600 sdi ho with 15000 kilometers on it. He says it still has 125 psi both cylinder (obviously I would test that myself when I see the sled) I would just like to know some stuff to look out for on these models with hugh kilometers. In not super worried about the kilometers cause I'll rebuild it in the spring anyways.the main reason I want it is cause it has fuel injection e start and reverse on it. My mountaincat is pull start only no reverse or efi

·
That's probably sarcasm.
2016 1200 RenegadeX
22,743 Posts
My 2004 SDI was fantastic. Keep the battery charged. At 28,000km I sold it, I had done the top end 3 times, only once due to a mechanical reason, the other 2 were preventative, and I put a new crank in at about 26,000. Honestly, the motor was outlasting the chassis. If I was going to keep it, I would have found a donour chassis and switched things over. Carry spare relays with you, I had one go out on a ride, everytime I stopped I had to tap the relay to get the lights to come on, and eventually they would turn off along the trail, not good at night!
Only other issue I had was dirty injectors. I chased an issue for almost a season before I took the injectors in to be cleaned, after that it ran great.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
One issue is the magnets coming loose in the flywheel. 07 and newer flywheels have a solid magnet. 1000sdi flywheel will work as well. The sled will need to be gone through, new bearings and bushings and some other common stuff but no reason not to buy it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 2004 SDI was fantastic. Keep the battery charged. At 28,000km I sold it, I had done the top end 3 times, only once due to a mechanical reason, the other 2 were preventative, and I put a new crank in at about 26,000. Honestly, the motor was outlasting the chassis. If I was going to keep it, I would have found a donour chassis and switched things over. Carry spare relays with you, I had one go out on a ride, everytime I stopped I had to tap the relay to get the lights to come on, and eventually they would turn off along the trail, not good at night!
Only other issue I had was dirty injectors. I chased an issue for almost a season before I took the injectors in to be cleaned, after that it ran great.
That makes me feel pretty good about this trade. Top ends are cheap and replacing a crank isnt thr worse thing possible. My mountain cat is a good sled it just sucks back fuel like there's no tommorow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Transition from AC to SD can take some doing. Grass is not always greener on the other side... 120 psi? How about 150 psi... Top end rebuilds is a no go. Crank needs to be replaced. $1,700 USD or so for a rebuild kit plus odds and ends. MCB or OEM.
Um current be if I'm wrong but putting in a new crank will not give you more compression

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Transition from AC to SD can take some doing. Grass is not always greener on the other side... 120 psi? How about 150 psi... Top end rebuilds is a no go. Crank needs to be replaced. $1,700 USD or so for a rebuild kit plus odds and ends. MCB or OEM.
If you do a topend right it's a yes. If you blow your motor and have no compression you need new pistons gasket ring ect.

·
Premium Member
29,377 Posts
Um current be if I'm wrong but putting in a new crank will not give you more compression
If you do a topend right it's a yes. If you blow your motor and have no compression you need new pistons gasket ring ect.
Top-end repairs are the most common and hold little value against worn-out crankshaft seals and bearings. AC uses oil, SD uses grease to lube the 4 outer crankshaft bearings. They both have their pros and cons. Going from one to the next isn't a easy transition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Top-end repairs are the most common and hold little value against worn-out crankshaft seals and bearings. AC uses oil, SD uses grease to lube the 4 outer crankshaft bearings. They both have their pros and cons. Going from one to the next isn't a easy transition.
Okay! I've already owned a couple of doos so it wont be too bad. I was just asking for stuff to look out for on these models

·
Premium Member
29,377 Posts
Okay! I've already owned a couple of doos so it wont be too bad. I was just asking for stuff to look out for on these models
I like the 2004 vs for its brute power band hit at 6,500 rpm and single fuel pump. Both have their issues, but once they are learned then it's not as problem. But don't count on the power hit since many of them have been upgraded to a new calibration map. The electrical is something to look out for. If the sled runs nice and the battery is charging in the 14s Vdc, then it's a good candidate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts