Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm brand new to dootalk, and new to snowmobiles. I've been around almost every other power sport for the past 20 years but this is my first time on the snow.

I just picked up a 2004 Renegade 600 SDI x package. The previous owner said that the gauges (speedo and tach) just recently stopped working. They are completely dead, no lights, needle sweep, nothing. I also think that the hot grips are not working. I've only had the sled out for a short ride, (around 10 minutes) but the grips never seemed to warm up. The sled runs great. The electric start fires right up, and the headlights and tail lights both work. It just seems to be the gauges and hot grips giving me problems.

Before anyone asks if I've used the search bar.... the answer is yes. I've read a bunch of the post and haven't seen anything that really matches my issue. But many of the post were helpful in giving me ideas of what to look at.

Any ideas? I was thinking about replacing the relays on the fues block just as a precaution. There are only two relays in the block, with a space for a third. the third empty spot does have wires running to it. Do i have a missing relay? The rest of the fuses all look good. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Welcome to Dootalk
The missing relay isn't your problem, it is only needed for non electric start models. It's possible that a bad one is causing your problem since gauges and hand warmers are both out. Not 100% sure but worth swapping just to rule it out, they are common failure points on these sleds. Most of us carry a spare or 2.. The R1 relay is needed for sled to run which yours is so that one is good, the R2 is for the accessories, etc.. You can switch them and see if anything changes if you don't have a new one handy. Other than that check the obvious stuff, connectors on harness all tight, etc..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to Dootalk
The missing relay isn't your problem, it is only needed for non electric start models. It's possible that a bad one is causing your problem since gauges and hand warmers are both out. Not 100% sure but worth swapping just to rule it out, they are common failure points on these sleds. Most of us carry a spare or 2.. The R1 relay is needed for sled to run which yours is so that one is good, the R2 is for the accessories, etc.. You can switch them and see if anything changes if you don't have a new one handy. Other than that check the obvious stuff, connectors on harness all tight, etc..
Thank you, I will give that a shot!

I have also heard that the gauges themselves are prone to failure. Any truth to that?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just happened to me. It was one of the fuses that comes off the relay. There are only 2 on my mxz800. One for headlights and one for accessories. Just had to wiggle the fuse in and out a bit lol Little bit of corrosion I guess

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,219 Posts
Welcome to Dootalk
Headlight won't work with bad R2..

Sent from a Galaxy (S10) far, far away

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update... I tried swapping the replays, and I new relays to try out. Nothing made a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
That's probably sarcasm.
2016 1200 Renegade X
20,957 Posts
Check your PMs

I'd look at the fuses, then is they all check out, there is a known issue with wires under the fuse box and computer that have splices and they corrode and break. Check some of the grey wrapped wires that are visible for corrosion, if you find some, look further down the loom for more.

Sent from the Island of Misfit Toys.

·
That's probably sarcasm.
2016 1200 Renegade X
20,957 Posts
Grip heaters also eventually die, or burn out, may not be related to the gauges. RSI make great replacement ones, specific to Doo.

Sent from the Island of Misfit Toys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts