Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Im changing my gear ratio to 21/43 and dont know what length chain to go to. 74?
Need answers so dont be shy.
I dropped two teeth to a 20/43 and found that the "dog leg" in the stock chain created by the smaller top gear was too much for me. The chain tensioner was almost maxed out. The charts showed that it would work and it might have been fine, but I picked up the next size chain down (72 pin I think) and now it looks good. A nice efficient oval shape.
If you're only dropping one tooth, my bet is you'll be fine with the stock chain.
Top photo 20/43 72 pin chain, Bottom photo 20/43 74 pin chain.

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
I dropped two teeth to a 20/43 and found that the "dog leg" in the stock chain created by the smaller top gear was too much for me. The chain tensioner was almost maxed out. The charts showed that it would work and it might have been fine, but I picked up the next size chain down (72 pin I think) and now it looks good. A nice efficient oval shape.
If you're only dropping one tooth, my bet is you'll be fine with the stock chain.
Top photo 20/43 72 pin chain, Bottom photo 20/43 74 pin chain.
what 20/43 like, what's the benefit of it. Where did you get your chain from and price, iam also in ontario

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
what 20/43 like, what's the benefit of it. Where did you get your chain from and price, iam also in ontario
The difference in a 600HO is night and day. Added a ton of bottom end grunt. Probably cost me a bit of top speed (maybe 5mph) but I live in 0-70 land anyways so I'm OK with that. On the trails and in the twisties, I can hang with the 800's no problem now. A field would have to be a mile long before they would start to get away from me. Of course, I've done a few other things too, but I credit the gear change with more than half of my performance improvement.

I got the chain for $60 from MCB Performance in Michigan. The 20 tooth gear I got from Snowline on Dundas in London for $20. Snowline has chains too, they're just a little more. Best bang for your buck award, absolutely!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
This is so funny to see this thread! I have an 03 rev 800. Stock gearing was 26/43. Last season I went with 24/43 with stock 72 pin chain. This year I looked at the gearing charts and for 21/43 it calls for a 74 pin chain. Wouldn`t work....too much dogleg! I ended up with a 21/43 with a 72 pin chain. Don`t always go with the gearing charts! Luckly I was able to take back the 74 pin chain! I just did this today, that is why coming across this post was funny.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Here are some photos. 1st photo is 24/43 with stock 72 pin chain. 2nd photo is 21/43 with new 74pin chain. 3rd photo is 21/43 with 72 pin chain. Take note that the 72 pin chain ISN`T new so it might have even less of a dog leg!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
2nd photo with 21/43 with 74 pin chain

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
21/43 with stock 72 pin chain

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
The last photo 21/43 with 72 pin chain still has a bit of a dog leg, but not as much as with the recommended new 74 pin chain. I am still debating on running a 44 tooth bottom gear= less dog leg and more bottom end torq. Hope these photos help with your decision.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The last photo 21/43 with 72 pin chain still has a bit of a dog leg, but not as much as with the recommended new 74 pin chain. I am still debating on running a 44 tooth bottom gear= less dog leg and more bottom end torq. Hope these photos help with your decision.
21/44 with the 74 chain works fine dont have any pics tho. dose 100 mph and thats it no matter what but i love it in the twisty stuff.its almost to much to handle in the real tight stuff.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The difference in a 600HO is night and day. Added a ton of bottom end grunt. Probably cost me a bit of top speed (maybe 5mph) but I live in 0-70 land anyways so I'm OK with that. On the trails and in the twisties, I can hang with the 800's no problem now. A field would have to be a mile long before they would start to get away from me. Of course, I've done a few other things too, but I credit the gear change with more than half of my performance improvement.

I got the chain for $60 from MCB Performance in Michigan. The 20 tooth gear I got from Snowline on Dundas in London for $20. Snowline has chains too, they're just a little more. Best bang for your buck award, absolutely!
k thanks man

·
Registered
338 Posts
It's cause the 03 chain case is shorter then all the others doo came up with.. I ran a 21 top for water and put either a 68 chain or 70 .. No dog legg at all

·
Registered
163 Posts
so do you want a little dog leg? or is it just bad altogether (sorry for the dumb question)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts