Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey guys I picked up this 03 Mach Z with 5000mi's and is bone stock. I've never owned one and was wondering what setup I should run with clutching? Looking for something for aggressive trail riding and decent top speed runs, any help be great.

·
Registered
676 Posts
How does it run now? My 02 with similar miles couldn't pull the stock 295 ramps but loved the 286's. Didn't like the stock helix either but liked the straight 50 and 47. I have a 50-47 coming which was what was in a lot of the clutch kits back in the day. Get some adjustable pins so you can experiment with pin weight and replace both springs with new oem. I dropped down to 25 tooth top gear. All depends on what you plan to do with it. Should rev right too 81-82 then build to 83ish. Make sure your clutches are clean and fresh and run a new belt with proper deflection and have fun! There is a lot of info on this topic you just have to do a lot of research and see what works for your sled.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Don't gear her down, the sirx will gobble you like pacman on the lake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Juks I was actually reading up on the posts you made about clutching. I haven't really ran the sled much, took it for first spin and didn't seem to run the best and blew a belt. Decided to haul the carbs off to clean it up check it all out and discovered all the carb boots were a mess not only split but broke up and falling apart. I ran a compression test an came up with 120 on all cylinders. Think I should replace the stock springs & buttons in secondary while its apart and see what I got? How were the pin rollers when you swapped out pins? Think it's worth replacing if doing pins and ramps? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yes. First thing I did was order new springs and helix sliders. 120 is on the low side for compression. Mine was 133 and when I pulled the top end apart my ring end gap was .044 you might have a hard time pulling those 295 ramps like I did. I bought new carb boots from Dennis Kirk for $28 a piece. My rollers and arm bushings were fine but the bushing in my spring cup was worn badly. Found a new cup assembly on eBay. Pull your water pump off and check your bearings/shaft. Mine were rusty and worn and starting to leak

·
Registered
676 Posts
Check your clutch alignment also. Plenty of info on here about specs. Check your motor mounts and torque arm also. That sled will be an animal when you get it right. My motor is completely torn down right now. Went to re ring and replace crank seals and Found a corroded center crank bearing.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
5000 miles is probably ready for some rebuild. New pistons and rings inspect and grease crank bearings. Rebuild both clutches with new bushings etc. Inspect motor mounts and torque stop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, juks I think I'm in for the same boat as you with the rebuild. I'm lucky the chassis is in excellent condition so she's worth the TLC. Do you think I'll get away with using it if I replace boots and springs and running it for the rest of the season maybe 300-500 miles?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Mine was at 6k when I tore it down and it ran fine. Not sure how much longer it would of gone though. Fill the water pump with 2 stroke oil, replace those carb boots and run it. You could roll the motor over slowly and see if you hear your crank bearings rattling around. Stock have plastic cages that break apart and allow the ball bearings to roll around. You'll hear a click click click if they are bad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Only thing touched was owner before me changed the skis and painted the tunnel but the paint peels off so that's a summer project.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Awesome sled. I've spent an average of 2-3 hrs a night on this forum soaking up everything there is to no about these ck3 machz's. It's addicting as hell. Once you feel what these machines are close to capable of you'll be hooked. I've spent more time and money on my z than any other sled I've owned. There are some very knowledgeable guys on this forum that really do want to help you. Best forum on the web bar none. But you have to do the foot work and sometimes its frustrating as hell when you feel like you going backwards but in the end all the frustration is worth it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, no doubt there's lots to read up about. My plan is to strip it down this summer and full clean and fix anything worn or broke. Take lots of pics will ya I might need it down the road haha

1 - 20 of 22 Posts