Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just joined the forum here, in september i bought 2002 MXZ380, but when i went with my group it was always pinned, it wasn't as good in powder as i'd wished, and I was always in the back of the pack. I sold this sled a week ago, and i plan to buy 2003 550 summit, anyone with info (fuel economy, hp, handling on trails/powder,) could you please let me know what you know about this sled

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Well, in the spirit of a little feedback is better than none, I'll give some from my experience with my '05 Expedition.
I believe the 05 is good for about 70 hp, but it has a bigger pipe than the 03, so maybe expect around 60, maybe a bit more. I think the spec on the Rotax site is with the smaller pipe, I just can't remember what it is exactly. Wait, just looked, it's 57. IF you search and look at LRD's threads on here, he's done some dynoing and porting (in the Summit forum).
I am not impressed with my gas mileage, it was around 12. Now it's around 14 (mpg CAN). I went from 45 pilots to 40, and added 6.8 grams more weight to the clutch. More room for improvement there, maybe with some needle tuning. Mine has real good acceleration up to 60, slower to 70, then hits a wall. It has a bigger track than the 03 would have though.
Mine doesn't have a swaybar, but I got a used one off the classifieds, just haven't had time to put it on yet. It is quite tippy on the trails, but very easy to throw around in the powder. It is also a different chassis though.
Hope that helps, good luck!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
MXZ380r said:
Thanks, but theres got to be someone out there with a 550 summit, any ideas on top speed????
[snapback]305246[/snapback]​
I weigh 220 lbs, and I can't get my '05 over 70mph. From 60 to 70 takes a lot of space. Mine seems to get around 10 to 11 mpg. Overall, I am very happy with the sled, and feel it was a good choice for me. I like the way it rides and handles.

If you were getting left behind before, you may want to go with a larger engine - maybe a 500ss? You can have 60mph in a heartbeat with the 550, but after that, I think you'll find yourself getting left behind again.

I don't believe the '03 was as powerful as the '05...

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
MXZ380r said:
Thanks, but theres got to be someone out there with a 550 summit, any ideas on top speed????
[snapback]305246[/snapback]​
Unless I'm overlooking something, the relevant specs are the same between the 03 Summit, and mine. 9T drivers, 19/43 gears, same clutches, same motor. Different pipe and track, but that won't change the top speed, just how long it takes to get there. I just checked my marker marks I made on my clutches before my weekend of riding, and they were gone. I'm getting full shift, quite easily, on good conditions. So you're looking at about 70mph top speed, I'd say.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this isn't enough for me, i think i'm gonna go with a bigger engine, i'm looking for a doo, lots of powder riding, long blasts on the ponds, and for a little jumping, but we have to trail ride to get there. what do you guys recommend for a sled?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow i am 160lbs and i have a 2.5 pattle onmy 2002 summit (500) and on the lake i can get 90-95. But if ur afraid of getting left behind gett a 600. It also depends on where ur riding. where i am i can beat any 700 800 900 1000 with my 6. the trails i ride have alot of turns but like out west then bigger and better

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think i got it, but you guys aren't gonna be happy about it
1996 polaris XCR 600
oversized jets
racing clutch
pipes and can
IMMACULATE
$2500 canadian

This in my opinion was a decent deal, bought if off my brother in law (original owner) it has 1800 miles and was pampered it's whole life in heated garage with a cover on while not in use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mind changed again, i'm keeping the XCR for a few years, then my next upgrade will be another doo, 2005 MXZ Renegade X 800HO to be exact. any pics with the low checker bee windshield and the lightweight hood. would like to see some stock pics too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts