Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a 2002 skidoo mxz x 440 with 300 miles, and low compression heads for running 91. The clutches have not been touched and it is great shape. Is the is a good investment l?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I like what I hear so far......that crazy how low the mileage is. Now for the price.....$2500? and if you'd prefer not to say that's fine too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep it’s a good deal. Will it be a good overall rider. Like for just cruising around and banging ditches a little?

·
Registered
30 Posts
These sleds are great. I still have mine and it is in a similar condition but with a few more miles.
Tough and reliable as long as you take care of it. The only downside is the carbs, they are tricky to keep dialed in.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No, they are not particularly good on gas. They are not good on oil either. Being a premix setup, the fuel and oil consumption is excessive. The thing I enjoyed the most was the looks from other riders at the gas station watching me dumping full quarts of oil directly into the gas tank. Many would approach to tell me that I didn't need to do that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
They trail ride just fine. No worries with the paddles, it's a non issue. As far as the amount of oil that's tricky to answer. It really depends on how much fuel you are adding. I would carry a mix cup to keep my ratio accurate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok thank you, you must wear a backpack I presume with having to carry oil and a mixing cup. Because I go on a long ride every year and want to know how to handle mixing at every gas station. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You should be able to keep enough oil in the rear compartment and under the hood. Use foam in the rear seat compartment to keep things from moving around. It should hold 4 to 6 quarts if memory serves me. On really long rides I would buy oil at a Doo dealer or gas station if they had it to resupply.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok thanks, I was just kinda weary about the tank being so small, and didn’t know if this sled sucked gas like a siv, and if I had enough room to hold oil. But our rides are only 45 miles a day. So would this sled be able to go that far on one sled?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does the sled have the Race Tank or Trail tank installed? I guess I assumed that you had the trail tank since the heads were converted. Usually the two are done at the same time. If you have the smaller race tank, I honestly have no idea how far they can go. 45 miles a day is a non issue for oil. I've done 250+ miles per day.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I do not know if it has a trail tank, since the person before me raced it in 1/4 mile drags. It also has studs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts