Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend we picked up a Skidoo 2002 MXZ X 800. I know its a racing sled made for the low elevation flat lands but we ride the mountains so our issue is this:

We need to find a way to get it to start and stay running at higher altitudes. When we're at the parking lot 7-8,000ft she will fire right up and run just fine. But once we get her up around 10-11,000 ft she dies out and will NOT restart.

Yesterday she got stuck in about 4 ft of fresh around 11,000 ft. Couldn't get her started again, checked the plugs and they were not only black (just put new ones in last week) but they were also wet, which makes me think that whatever senses altitude is not doing it's job since it's flooding the engine with gas and not pulling in extra air to compensate for the thin air at that altitude. I think it may have to do with the MPEM box, any input would be very helpful.

I have experience with Polaris and Cats, but Doo is a new animal to me. Thanks in advance!!!

·
2nd Whore in command
102,061 Posts
Does your 02 MXZ X have the DPM system? The DPM system compensates for ambient temp and altitude. Im not sure if the DPM has a altitude limit or not?

You may also need to get the high altitude kit for the altitude your riding at, its really just a different primary clutch spring and you will want to run your TRA clickers on #5..........the TRA clickers are the 3 bolts on the outside of the primary clutch. You will also want a different angled helix in the secondary clutch.

Here is a pic of the TRA clickers, set all 3 at the same #

4.jpg

Here is a high altitude chart for 02 Skidoo sleds, scroll down till you find the MXZ X

http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/images//organizations/3286118f-3d8f-4b85-821c-0564a405117f/2002%20High%20Altitude%20(Except%20Summit).pdf

Welcome to Dootalk!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the input, that is most helpful! This Doo does have the DPM system, I will look into the altitude kit and a new helix for the secondary. Had no clue about the TRA clickers so thanks again!

·
2nd Whore in command
102,061 Posts
No problem :buddies:

The link I posted gives you the Skidoo part #s for the primary spring and helix you will need(page 5) for your sled. By the looks of it the DPM should compensate for the jetting and you shouldn't have to change that.

Hopefully you can still get those parts from Skidoo still? If not Im sure an aftermarket company will have something to match the OEM specs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts