Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
The 1.5inch track would get some good traction on that sled. Better if its studded. The 800 motor is good if it runs fine. They did have some lemon sleds that year. I have seen 01 and 02 MXZ 800's with over 15000k and 23000k on them without even a look at the top end.

·
Registered
33 Posts
TRUE THAT!!! my cousin has the same exact ssled as mine and has mad miles on it and still runs like new... my case was a lil different... my motor blew and had to put a new one in...

02 MXZ X 800 H.O.!!! COME GET SOME!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
My previous 01 mxz 800 has over 15k on it, no motor issues at all. Was a recall on piston/rings first year, still running strong by my brother inlaw.

My 00 mxz 700 just turned 15k on the weekend, has 95 psi on both sides. Thinking about putting new rings in the summer.

My 02 mxz 800 I just bought, has 8k on it. Stock oil settings and jetting too rich, down to 500s and will turn pump down this week. Burn't almost 2 litres of oil to 100 miles on the weekend, ouch.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
My 2001 MXZ X 800 had a 2002 motor put in (dealer messed up while doing the recalled pistons and engine exploded 300 km later) the second year, so sled has 15,000 km and motor has 11,500 km. Only the starter ($200!) went, blew two belts which took a seal out each time so split case twice to change the seals.

Otherwise, not a problem. 12 mpg (Imperial) and as good as 16 although that's a rarity. 12 is pretty average.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I'm shocked that it's the NEW PowerTEK 800 H.O.'s that are causing problems, as there was so much talk in 2001/2 of the non H.O. 800's having reliability issues. I would have thought they'd have the 800 figured out after 5 seasons, especially given the DET sensor etc. to protect the motor.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
If there were issues with the 800 in 2001, that's at least understandable being a first year motor. But not in 2006.....

I've either been lucky with my 2001 (2002), or else the 'issues' were blown out of proportion in the first place. Just as they may be with the PowerTEC's in 2006.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Had to put a recoil in my '02, fuel mileage was around 11mpg US, and that seems to be higher than average. My '05 800HO gets almost 14mpg. The 02 was a good all around sled, nothing exceptional but nothing really bad about it either.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I too have the 02 800 in my ZX. Granted it just turned 1600 miles this weekend however. With the mods listed below I get 10mpg. I am running 500 mains with everything else listed. Can't really complain about anything with it.

After listening to people bitch about the SDI's, knowing someone whom has one and has nothing but troubles, the ring fiasco on the 6/800's. Now to hear the continuos bitching about the 1000 SDI in the MAch it sure makes keeping an old carbed sled more appealing and a lot less costly. I really want to try a REV but don't want to have to buy rings/pistons to make it run and have to haul it into a dealer for flashing warning lights or have it shutting down out on the trail if I have a WOT run on a rail grade.

Just sucks because I can remeber the day that the ROTAX was bulletproof, now??????

mps

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Yes I agree that "keeping an old carbed sled (is) more appealing and a lot less costly" it seems than even the new SDI's if they're having so much troubles. 20 mpg is great, but not if they cost more in repairs, sometimes good 'ol carbs is best.

Other than rings, though, and the 'shutting down' problem, they're not actually blowing up are they? The 600HO's I mean. That's by far the main thing of course.

·
Registered
80 Posts
freddy2 said:
Yes I agree that "keeping an old carbed sled (is) more appealing and a lot less costly" it seems than even the new SDI's if they're having so much troubles. 20 mpg is great, but not if they cost more in repairs, sometimes good 'ol carbs is best.

Other than rings, though, and the 'shutting down' problem, they're not actually blowing up are they? The 600HO's I mean. That's by far the main thing of course.
[snapback]786828[/snapback]​
I blew my 01 up at 2900 miles 2 years ago sheared the piston then blew a hole in the crankcase. Other than that I love the sled

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Well I meant the new SDI's, the 600 HO and the 1000 MZ, I heard about problems but didn't think they were blowing up....maybe problems in the cylinders/rings with the flaking rings etc. and shutting down problems, but not exploding as your 01 did. My 01 did too, 300 km after the dealer installed the recalled pistons, but it was not the machines fault, I think the dealer screwed up as it went 3,500 km just fine before that. I got a free 2002 motor so I can't complain. It has 11,500 km on it now, the chassis has 15,000 km, and although I came close to selling it this year I just can't sell it, I love it too much. I'll wait until I literally hate it, but that may take another 10 years.

·
Registered
80 Posts
freddy2 said:
Well I meant the new SDI's, the 600 HO and the 1000 MZ, I heard about problems but didn't think they were blowing up....maybe problems in the cylinders/rings with the flaking rings etc. and shutting down problems, but not exploding as your 01 did. My 01 did too, 300 km after the dealer installed the recalled pistons, but it was not the machines fault, I think the dealer screwed up as it went 3,500 km just fine before that. I got a free 2002 motor so I can't complain. It has 11,500 km on it now, the chassis has 15,000 km, and although I came close to selling it this year I just can't sell it, I love it too much. I'll wait until I literally hate it, but that may take another 10 years.
[snapback]787166[/snapback]​
Mine blew up 800 miles after the recall was done. Unfortunately I wasn't so lucky, dealer said that because it had been a year since the work was done there was nothing he could do about it. Maybe the dealer screwed up, or the recall was never performed in the first place. Guess i'll never know.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
That sucks. In my case, I had put the 300 km or so on within a couple weekends so it was still recent. Had it went a year they wouldn't have done anything. So don't worry, there was nothing you could have done differently anyway (i.e. you couldn't have - I don't think - convinced them it was their fault and have them replace your motor). My dealer had tried to stick it to me, saying I hadn't broken in the new pistons/rings properly, having run it wide open for too long. Only at 300 km they should be pretty much broke in (I WAS being careful you see) and they do say you should vary the throttle with short burst of WOT for a proper breakin, which I was doing when it exploded and cracked the case. Since it had 300 km on it, I figured I could hold it open a bit more on the road, and was maybe 4-5 seconds WOT when the revs started dropping. For the damage done to the internals, I would have expected a big 'KABOOM' or something. Turns out an oil line 'come undone' or hadn't been re-connected in the first place, or re-connected improperly. When I asked them to put a zip-tie or something on it on my new motor, they said it's unnecessary, and that I would be a happy man if everything was that tight.....or something with sexual connotations anyway. So maybe there was faulty oil tubing that cracked or swelled, and then came off the first time. That's how they got out of it and stuck Ski-Doo with the cost of the blown motor. But as I said, they did try to blame me, and had I not argued and refused, I would have. But they knew one thing, THEY certainly weren't going to pay for it. To this day, I don't know if they screwed up or the rubber was bad in the lines.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts