Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

As I'm new to the forums and have read some threads on this topic, I've not seen any specific to my issue. So here goes, I'm fixing a buddies 2002 MXZ 600 R, it has RER and DPM. He had a rod bearing go out. We found a different bottom end (non RER) and changed it out. That being said we then installed the ignition system from the RER bottom end into the replacement. Timing lined up and it was drilled and tapped to except the dual triggers. Once assembled we have set the motor back into the chassis, loosely started the motor mount bolts and plugged everything back into it's proper plugs and then wanted to test for spark before we finished assembling everything. So here's what I have, tether cord is correct and in place, kill switch is up, coils are plugged in and new plugs, triggers both ohm'd at 236, stater on ignition side ohm'd at 16. When you pull it over 5 to say 15 times it may spark once on both cylinders and the you'll several times again and it will spark once. Timing is fixed on this model, stater is not slotted for adjustment nor are the triggers slotted. But correct me if i'm wrong, even if the timing was off it should still spark Correct? Again he lost a rod bearing the ignition was not the an issue as far as we are aware of. Any ideas or information would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
13,553 Posts
I think I got this one, lol.
Sounds like your trigger coils are installed in the wrong positions. The one with the blue wire needs to be in the bottom position, the one with the green wire goes in the upper position. If they're reversed, the MPEM is smart enough to cut off spark. It wants to see the pulses in the correct sequence. The spark you are seeing is likely from the compression pushing the crankshaft backwards slightly before it comes to a stop. I pulled my hair out on the exact same thing years ago. As a quick check you can wrap a dope around the clutch backwards to pull it over clockwise while checking for spark.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, I tried the backwards pull rapping a rope around the clutch. Still no spark. Today after my original post I had a buddy stop by and we tested a few more things. When We pulled over the engine the wires going to the coil would produce approximately 11 volts checking them white to black, that seemed reasonable enough to energize the coil. We also pushed the kill and zero voltage, then pulled the tether and zero voltage so they are both working. It would also give enough off the lighting coils to see dim light in the head lights. So if the triggers are reversed would I have spark in that direction? I looked at the wire colors at the MPEM plug this one is Blue with a white stripe, greenish blue with a yellow stripe, Grey with a yellow stripe and White. Also we Ohm'd the coil, it has zero resistance, as luck would have it I have other coils that we could test, all Ohm'd zero resistance. So with this information do you believe the triggers are backwards? Thanks for the reply, looking forward to your reply with the new information before I tear the ignition apart again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright and woo who!!! you were correct. I pulled the fly wheel and reversed the triggers and we have spark. THANK YOU Stealth Bomber!!! Lesson learned and will stay in the memory bank for a long time.

·
Registered
13,553 Posts
Happy to help, glad you got it sorted.
One of those things once you know about it, you won't get burned again.
When I had my go with it, it wasn't a widely known reason issue, I was on my own basically.
My friend bought a 2002 Legend in 2008. Motor burned down, was taken apart and never put back together. He bought it as a basket case with the engine in a milk crate. Unbeknown to us, the trigger coils had been removed and put back on wrong prior to us getting it. So I rebuilt the engine and began chasing the no spark condition. Very frustrating when everything checks within spec. Fired the parts canon at it with stuff from a running sled to no avail. Very puzzling how it would spark once just as the engine came to a stop after cranking. Basically grasping at straws, I roped the clutch backwards and pulled it over... hot blue spark! You know the rest.
Again, glad to help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts