Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can help. 2002 MXZ Renegade 600 with no head/tail light, dash lights, but warning lights (like the reverse light up when in reverse) work just fine. Sled runs fine. Are there relays like on my wife's 2007 Renegade SDI? Regulator? Stator? Thanks for the help! T

·
Registered
710 Posts
I agree it might be the regulator.

Correct me if Im wrong, i looked at the wiring schematic for the 2002 MXZ's and there is no relays on them. The 2003's have a main relay.

If you have a multimeter, find a place to measure the AC voltage such as your tail light and fire it up. rev up the engine and see if the voltage does not go over 12-13V AC........If it goes higher, the voltage regular is toast.

Cheers

·
Registered
893 Posts
Wouldnt you need to measure A/C at the connector attatching to the rectifier? Tail lights and headlights and tach need DC. i have the same problem and it looks like the rectifier is toast. 97 MXZ 440Lc

·
Registered
710 Posts
SEAKTundra

The difference between the 2002 and 2003 ZX electrical systems is quite different. For my point above, whether it's AC or DC is not important, My whole point is that you measure a constant 12V down stream of the regulator or a regulator/rectifier. If the voltage increases with engine RPM way past 12V, the regulator or rectifier needs replacing.

with that said, your point about the tail light on his sled being DC is, correct me if Im wrong not correct. I looked at the wiring schematic for a 2002 MXZ 600 and all instrument lights, tailliights and head lights are 12VAC. The hand warmers, visor connection are also 12VAC. I don't have a wiring diagram for your sled so i can't comment about your sled. The 12VDC on MAAS24's sled is limited to only the electric starter(if it's on his/her sled), the reverse Beeper, and of course charging the battery.

If you look at a 2003 ZX sled, such as my Summit 800, the sled is entirely 12VDC for all lights and hand warmers, etc. (I have no electric start), the speedometer and tach guages are fully electronic devices and require DC to operate.

Im only interpreting this from the 2002 wiring schematic, if I have said anything incorrectly, please let me know, as the skidoo schematics are sometimes not clear.

cheers
happy holidays and safe sledding.

·
Registered
621 Posts
SEAKTundra

The difference between the 2002 and 2003 ZX electrical systems is quite different. For my point above, whether it's AC or DC is not important, My whole point is that you measure a constant 12V down stream of the regulator or a regulator/rectifier. If the voltage increases with engine RPM way past 12V, the regulator or rectifier needs replacing.

with that said, your point about the tail light on his sled being DC is, correct me if Im wrong not correct. I looked at the wiring schematic for a 2002 MXZ 600 and all instrument lights, tailliights and head lights are 12VAC. The hand warmers, visor connection are also 12VAC. I don't have a wiring diagram for your sled so i can't comment about your sled. The 12VDC on MAAS24's sled is limited to only the electric starter(if it's on his/her sled), the reverse Beeper, and of course charging the battery.

If you look at a 2003 ZX sled, such as my Summit 800, the sled is entirely 12VDC for all lights and hand warmers, etc. (I have no electric start), the speedometer and tach guages are fully electronic devices and require DC to operate.

Im only interpreting this from the 2002 wiring schematic, if I have said anything incorrectly, please let me know, as the skidoo schematics are sometimes not clear.

cheers
HA now I know my 03 is 12VDC. Thanks!

·
Registered
710 Posts
HA now I know my 03 is 12VDC. Thanks!
I didn't know that at first, I was under the assumption that because it didn't have electric start and no battery that there was no DC on it....I was so wrong!.......When I decided to put on a temperature guage, it was a surprise that It was 12VDC, so i put on a nice blue Digital temp guage.

cheers

·
Registered
621 Posts
Yeah, ALTHOUGH! If you decide NOT to run a battery, or want to charge it at the house but go ride, you cannot. The harness in the 03' ZX is designed to be a complete circuit to run all things properly. Just an FYI. Found this out today.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yeah, ALTHOUGH! If you decide NOT to run a battery, or want to charge it at the house but go ride, you cannot. The harness in the 03' ZX is designed to be a complete circuit to run all things properly. Just an FYI. Found this out today.
Are you saying if one has a 2003 ZX sled with a battery, that you can not run the sled without the battery? Sorry, its not clear to me what you are saying.

Original poster, sorry not trying to high jack this post.........we are all here to help you and learn at the same time.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Based on the schematic for 2002 MXZ 600, there are no relays. our 03's do have a main relay.

Are you saying if one has a 2003 ZX sled with a battery, that you can not run the sled without the battery? Sorry, its not clear to me what you are saying.

Original poster, sorry not trying to high jack this post.........we are all here to help you and learn at the same time.
Yes correct. the sled WILL run...just not as well. It makes the elec system wacky.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Check your headlight and taillight bulbs. If they are blown, your voltage regulator is bad.

·
Registered
893 Posts
SEAKTundra

cheers
Thank you, re-thinking what I thought i knew.

Happy holidays

Mike

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thank you, re-thinking what I thought i knew.
thanks......just to clarify one thing i said......
"the speedometer and tach gauges are fully electronic devices and require DC to operate." I did mean for 2003 onward.....

Happy holidays

·
Registered
893 Posts
  1. For what its worth, I cut the cable ties on the wire bundle at the stator output wires. After starting the sled I manipulated the wires with my fingers and the lights came on and tach started working. Probably a chafed wire needing some repair. i will post again after I finalize the repair. 97 mxz 440 lc

·
Registered
893 Posts
The connector on the stator output had loose contacts inside, Opened connector, bent the contacts with a screwdriver and happiness, I have working lights and Tach. The connector has yellow with black stripe x2 and yellow no stripe x2 and a brown ground wire.

·
Registered
618 Posts
2002 ski doo summit 800 just replaced regulator and still no lights or tach just a very dim high beam indicator light. runs great the rer works too

1 - 20 of 20 Posts