Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum..

Need help on my 2002 MXZ 500 F with RER... Flywheel magnets separated. I have tried to find used, no luck.

Anyone that has had this happen, could you share with me the correct new replacement part number that works

for this application? The RER did work when the flywheel fell apart.

Thanks in advance.

Joe51

·
Registered
345 Posts
For the notorious 500F flywheel glue failure you'll need the superseded part # 420889376. These have the caged magnets riveted in which can also be found on the newer 550F motors when you do a search.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!. I did notice the original wheel has a 300 W rating. Where as the above part number has a 340 W rating. Any concerns?

Thanks again,

Much appreciated.

Joe51

·
Registered
345 Posts
The flywheel on the left is the 2002 MXZ 500F RER original. The one on the right is off a newer 2006 550F with the caged magnets. No issues at all as its the OEMs superseded part # for a 500F anyway. It was much easier to find a used one listed for a 550F than trying to find a used one for a 500F.

I do believe its a common problem as the epoxy they used fails over time and the magnets break and just stick to the stator.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if the old style could be modded to prevent the disbonding. Like with a countersunk machine screw, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you sir for the comparison. I can now finish my search ( Used or new).

From the above post, I personally would not try to drill/screw the original unit.

My mind tells me that it would mess with balancing as well as breaking the magnets.

And who knows what else.

Best regards,

Joe51

1 - 7 of 7 Posts