Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has had this happen? My 2002 MXZ 380 will start and run excellent for about the first 20 minutes. Suddenly it will quit just like I hit the kill switch. Without touching anything it will start perfectly and run for a minute or so and then the same thing again. When it starts to die if I quickly toggle (push then pull) the kill switch, tether or key switch it will fire back up and continue on for another minute or so. I have tested the key switch, tether and kill switch and there are all okay. Anyone have any thoughts on this weird problem?

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
Classic symptoms of a bad CDI/coil pack assembly or as BRP calls it "calibrated module". I had one in a REV (same style Ducati ignition) doing the exact same thing you describe. It would run until warmed up, then quit like you hit the kill switch, but start up with 1/2 a pull. Might run for two minutes or two miles and then do it again. New CDI fixed that one, and has fixed other members sleds with the same problem over the years.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Same symptoms. CDI for me. Some had bad stators. When it's intermittent like that, impossible to diagnose.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I am going to try a new calibrated module (CDI/coil) this weekend. I will post my results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey not really related to this topic but wonder if anyone can help me with a issue. I have a 2002 mxz 380 getting good spark but won't start. Floods after second pull off cord. Brand new Pistons, rings n crank. Carbs are spotless, floats move freely, choke is working properly. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Hey not really related to this topic but wonder if anyone can help me with a issue. I have a 2002 mxz 380 getting good spark but won't start. Floods after second pull off cord. Brand new Pistons, rings n crank. Carbs are spotless, floats move freely, choke is working properly. Any help would be great.
Does it try to fire up at all?

Hopefully you dont have the trigger pickups backwards.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
second pull with the choke on?

Does it flood without choke?

If so, first check to see if you have gas in the pulse line on the fuel pump.

If that is okay, then turn your airscrew out a 1/2 turn more, assuming you have it at 1 turn out already.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put the picks in according to wiring schematics. It will not fire at all. Carbs are adjusted but didn't seem to make a difference. I have ever fuel line disconnected and I'm letting it sit for a while to make sure all the gas is out of the base. Does anyone know which piston fires first??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts