Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i'm looking for a good snowmobile for this winter and i was looking into getting either a 2002 or a 2003 mxz 500 in zx chasis and i was wondering if anyone could tell me the gas mileage, top speed and if they have a descent amount of power, the 2002 has a can on it and about 10000km, and the 2003 has a fully rebuilt susepention and im not sure on the amount of km on it, are there any pros and cons about these sleds and what should i look at when going to buy it?

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
Welcome to the site first off!

Might find some better info in the ZX Chassis forum.

The ZX 500's (liquid cooled I'm assuming your looking at?) are great sleds, very reliable and very quick motors. Not the fastest thing around, but will likely be in the mid 80's MPH if you want to push it that hard.

At 10k KM's (about 6000 MI) I'd be sure and take a compression tester, compression should be near (within 10%) even per side, and should likely be above 110psi on the 500 with that many miles. If one is different, or they are both low, its time for pistons/rings at the very least. If they have RER (electronic reverse button) thats a good indicator of motor health. Warm the engine up and push the button, if it stalls, its likely low on compression if its a warm motor, if it switches back and forth quickly its a good sign of a healthy motor.

Shocks will be getting near replacement on one with higher mileage, and take a good look at the track and skis.

If its a good deal, it'd be worth going through it yourself if your handy and checking the skid bearings, maybe replacing some shocks with some good used ones, etc...My brothers old 500 had rebuildable shocks on it, it was an 02 sport package with the RER, great sled for sure!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the help and the owner says the sled was rebuilt at driveline before he bought it so it was rebuilt around 9800km's and the suspention if fully rebuilt,has a fairly new studded track,new brakes,2 new belly pans to go with and it and he wants 2500, is this a good deal?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts