Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 2001 Summit 500f that I bought new and haven't had a single issue with all these years. Just today, I went out on the trail to get to a choice play area, and all of a sudden it shut off and wound down instantly (No coughing, or hesitating) as if I hit the kill switch. I checked the crank shaft first, and it turned... so after checking a few other things (Plugs and wiring, fuel lines etc.), I started it right up again and it ran fine! It ran for about two more miles before doing precisely the same thing. Only THIS time the shaft turned a little hard for a bit before loosening up. We drug her back and now she's sitting on my trailer.

So.... Does my little baby finely need a cylinder rebuild? I'm afraid that the piston rings might almost be gone... At least that's the only thing that makes sense to me. But she only has 3500 miles on her! Does this sound like what would happen if that's the problem?

Any advise would be appreciated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes... it does. That's why I'm guessing the same as you :unsure_old: That's what I figured I do. I just wanted to ask around before hauling it in

·
Mod Smut
4,826 Posts
Compression test will tell you everything. If it was a little hard to break the pistons from the cylinders when you went to start it again, that leaves me to believe it's a top end that's gone. When you get a chance, toss up the compression numbers and prepare to get your hands dirty. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Something somebody else suggested was that the crankshaft bearing might be going bad, and that that is what maybe forced the engine to shut off, until it cooled down a bit. Would that make sense?

·
Registered
676 Posts
His died twice just idling. The third time it locked up for good when I held it pinned across a field

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Compression test will tell you everything. If it was a little hard to break the pistons from the cylinders when you went to start it again, that leaves me to believe it's a top end that's gone. When you get a chance, toss up the compression numbers and prepare to get your hands dirty. :)
So, I just did the compression test and the psi numbers are just over 100 for the right and just over 90 for the left... Aren't these a little low?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts