Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I have a non RER non Heated carb mpem that I am putting back in my sled... it is a four port mpem and I can’t find out what the forth port is for... I have the wiring harness port, the tether, the coil, all accounted for what is the forth port? Thanks

·
Premium Member
28,769 Posts
With only 4 ports/plugs on the MPEM, the wiring must have been swapped with one from a 500/600/700.

Viewing the backside from left to right:
1. Stator (Ignition Generator Coil) - triangular plug.
2. Trigger Coil (Crank Position Sensor).
3. Ignition Coil.
4. Harness (DESS)

2001 Ski-Doo MX Z 500/600/700 Ignition

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With only 4 ports/plugs on the MPEM, the wiring must have been swapped with one from a 500/600/700.

Viewing the backside from left to right:
1. Stator (Ignition Generator Coil) - triangular plug.
2. Trigger Coil (Crank Position Sensor).
3. Ignition Coil.
4. Harness (DESS)

2001 Ski-Doo MX Z 500/600/700 Ignition
Thanks man that helps... Ik it’s kinda a silly question

·
Premium Member
28,769 Posts
Thanks man that helps... Ik it’s kinda a silly question
No even close, that was one of the best questions! What you didn't hear or read was my initial thought <Doesn't the 2001 800 have 6 ports???> lol That's when it came to mind that there was probably a swap done at one point, or perhaps a model that I wasn't aware of.

If you have any further questions to ask about the electrical setup, this is time to ask while it is still fresh in my mind. There are many things that I don't know, but I focus on the things that I do lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
No even close, that was one of the best questions! What you didn't hear or read was my initial thought <Doesn't the 2001 800 have 6 ports???> lol That's when it came to mind that there was probably a swap done at one point, or perhaps a model that I wasn't aware of.

If you have any further questions to ask about the electrical setup, this is time to ask while it is still fresh in my mind. There are many things that I don't know, but I focus on the things that I do lol
HEY YOU A DOO EXPERT? I NEED HELP man

·
Premium Member
28,769 Posts
HEY YOU A DOO EXPERT? I NEED HELP man
Far from a Doo expert. Unfortunately the experts don't usually post on a public forum. I focus on what I know which is usually enough to get by.

·
Premium Member
28,769 Posts
do i need to rejet ? i took carbs off a 2009 mxz 800 and use them on a 2002 mxz 800 that has full dyno port exhaust and v force reed,i think im safe at a 480 main jet correct? my old carbs had 500 mains
Those kind of mods are far away from my wheel house. Although, if you are interested in this kind of thing, it is far easier with a Wideband as long as you take the time to find what a/f to shoot for at different rpm and loads (throttle position).

Ok, it may not be real easy, but if compared to the common approach with only plug and wash readings, then it is stupid easy. Since you are playing with pipes, then back pressure also needs to be considered.

The racing venue is a sport that is typically taken seriously with engines that are squared away with solid compression. I don't mean high compression in CR, but rather a healthy engine making good compression as opposed to lots of blow by. A typical sled owner who is looking for power adders is likely starting with a weak engine that is best suited for light to medium trail riding with the odd wot pull.

Best bang/Hp for the buck is a healthy engine. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I‘m back... Since you asked, for more questions:) A little bit more backstory this sled ran okay before I chose to swap the MXZ to a SUMMIT chassis and the sled ran fine before... I just put the engine and a PERFECT condition (No wear through) wiring harness and now I have no spark. The first place that I think I should start is to test stator, coil, pickup, spark plug caps. And maybe dielectric grease all the connections?? Anything else you think I should do?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts