Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here is another no spark thread. I took sled for a ride some time ago, ran perfect. Brought it home, parked it. Went out next day and wouldn't start. So I went to the other 800 in the garage and started swapping parts. Mpem, coil ect. no go. Today I put a new stator in it. Still zero spark and even bigger headache. I already bypassed the kill switch to rule that out.

So what am I missing. I ohm'd the new stator out and it well within limits in service manual. Double checked coil wires as well. Flywheel looked mint and is clean. old stator looked fine, no melts or burn marks. I am so stumped. It is an 2001 MXZ 800 adernaline with no e-start or reverse. I have only put 485 miles on it since i built it from a non running roller.

Thank you so much for any insight in advance!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Seems like you've covered most of it, but what about the crank trigger, have you swapped that out or checked it with an ohm meter? Do a google search to confirm but I believe it should spec out between 100 and 300 ohms or so.

EDIT: some more ideas for you:

Have you carefully checked to ensure none of the pins in the connectors have been pushed out?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
EDIT: some more ideas for you:

Have you carefully checked to ensure none of the pins in the connectors have been pushed out?
Yeah I looked at all of the connections. everything was good and clean and most of all in place. I have a feeling this is going to be something so dumb and overlooked that if it had teeth it would have bit me..

Thank-you and will post back tomorrow with the trigger check!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, trigger tested out fine per ski-doo manual. I ohm tested new stator and it tested fine but when i switched over to voltage while pulling it over I could barely break one volt. Go figure. Got a dead stator DOA. Time to try to get a new one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Found another possible issue. There was some grease that made its way onto the old stator. I may have over packed them a bit when I built the motor 480ish miles ago. I'm sure I probably put a bit too much Isoflex in there when I was building it. I am wondering if I could have messed up my mag seal or what not. My plug color has been perfect as I monitor it constantly.

EDIT: Will a 700 twin Stator run in this sled? Found one semi local for a decent deal.

Guess I learned my lesson with the chinese green stators. They sent me out another one but after reading about them on here I was reluctant to even install it. Some people say they are great some say they suck. StatorKev will be getting my bad stocker this summer. Warranty plus rave reviews I am sold.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Do they make them in house?
I'm not sure- it works though- if you want a quick fix for the rest of the season- I personally am going to swap to a oem one when I have the down time and extra cash

I'm going off " you get what you pay for"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure- it works though- if you want a quick fix for the rest of the season- I personally am going to swap to a oem one when I have the down time and extra cash

I'm going off " you get what you pay for"
Well the replacement will be here saturday. I still have my 600 to ride but yeah, if it doesnt work, I'm putting a fork in it and sending the stocker to StatorKev. Well I agree with the get what ya pay for deal, found it out first hand. Either way the Stocker is getting redone with a 2 year warranty. That makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Just a shame the market is flooded with junk now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, Stator #2 installed and still nothing. I am at whitts end. I think I maybe getting voltage, are these Ac/ or DC? Is it really possible to get 2 bad stators?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dude I think your at the point of taking to a dealer or doing a ohm test on every strand of wire to look for a short

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have to ask - are you in michigan? Where you located? I'm perplexed on your issue but pretty good at diagnostics

1 - 20 of 23 Posts