Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok bearing on the driveshaft inside chaincase.

I put the bearing sealed side facing the chaincase, open side facing drivers....this correct?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cudney Racing said:
Yes it is correct. -- Bill
[snapback]263049[/snapback]​
Bill it baffles me why they would do this..wouldnt the bearing get more lubrication with open side facing chaincase?

Im not arguing with your answer cause that is how i installed it, but im just curious.

thanks bill.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
809UpYourAss said:
Cudney Racing said:
Yes it is correct. -- Bill
[snapback]263049[/snapback]​
Bill it baffles me why they would do this..wouldnt the bearing get more lubrication with open side facing chaincase?

Im not arguing with your answer cause that is how i installed it, but im just curious.

thanks bill.
[snapback]263055[/snapback]​
You both have it backwards. The sealed side of the bearing should be facing the drivers. The open side(where you can see the actual internals of the bearing) faces your chaincase. It gets lubed by the gear oil you put in the chaincase. This is a joke right?

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
The reason the seal is on the gear side is so that any metal shavings, from wear on the gear or chain don't get into the bearing, the bearing will get oil due to the fact that the oil can pass around the center of the shaft and around the outside of the bearing but shavings and filings can't. -- Bill

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
809UpYourAss said:
ok bearing on the driveshaft inside chaincase.

I put the bearing sealed side facing the chaincase, open side facing drivers....this correct?
[snapback]263033[/snapback]​
Yes, you are correct. I think it is stupid to have all that available oil and not use it.
I have never ever lost a bearing because of the dirty oil. Whats really amazing is the seal is off the back side and what oil that does seep thru winds up on the ground.
Turning the bearing around is one of the first things I do to a new sled.
I have towed more than one friend home over the years that have failed.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The oil that seeps through the shaft and bearing cant go on the ground because there is a seal behind the bearing.Keep the seal on the bearing facing the gears and the unsealed side will be running in clean oil.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
joker said:
The oil that seeps through the shaft and bearing cant go on the ground because there is a seal behind the bearing.Keep the seal on the bearing facing the gears and the unsealed side will be running in clean oil.
[snapback]264266[/snapback]​
Thanks Joker, and Bill.

I knew I had to have it correct, but some wananbe mechanics told me I had it "edit for bad language" backwards.

I have already pulled my drive axle off twice in 5 days, I do not want to do it again anytime soon, so this was a relief to hear.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Ditto for me Mikadoo. MY 94 has the bearing in ""edit for bad language" backwards" but IT IS the ORIGINAL BEARING that has been in the sled since DAY ONE!!! Proven by the test of time. Why do the automobile mfgs. make cars that don't last forever. They make a heck of alot more money on repairs and parts. Sled mfgs also. A buddy owns a Doo dealership and he's crying cause the lack of snow no ones riding therefore no big money repairs. Remember you have to look outside the box. Can't always go by a picture and call it gospel. I've only owned/operated a automobile repair business for 25+ years but I'm just a "wannabe" to some.

·
Registered
337 Posts
MACH D said:
Ditto for me Mikadoo. MY 94 has the bearing in ""edit for bad language" backwards" but IT IS the ORIGINAL BEARING that has been in the sled since DAY ONE!!! Proven by the test of time. Why do the automobile mfgs. make cars that don't last forever. They make a heck of alot more money on repairs and parts. Sled mfgs also. A buddy owns a Doo dealership and he's crying cause the lack of snow no ones riding therefore no big money repairs. Remember you have to look outside the box. Can't always go by a picture and call it gospel. I've only owned/operated a automobile repair business for 25+ years but I'm just a "wannabe" to some.
[snapback]264643[/snapback]​
Mach D, as much as I give you all the enthusiasm in the word in your expedition on "thinking outside the box", I will note that the seal is facing towards the chaincase to keep shavings out, and chaincase oil gets into the bearing through the center of the driveshaft.

As Bill Cudney stated.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mach D, as much as I give you all the enthusiasm in the word in your expedition on "thinking outside the box", I will note that the seal is facing towards the chaincase to keep shavings out, and chaincase oil gets into the bearing through the center of the driveshaft.

sure thing, that center seal goes out and u will need a new chain case, and if u think it wont happen trust me it will.... some times u have to use commen sence.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NOS2stage said:

sure thing, that center seal goes out and u will need a new chain case, and if u think it wont happen trust me it will.... some times u have to use commen sence.
[snapback]264907[/snapback]​
?

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Graig, In theory yes, in ideal conditions yes. In the real world not always. I've seen probably a handful of times, especially in conditions we are having this season too little snow for the groomers guys break their own trails. Weeds get wrapped around the shaft and wear at that outer seal or I've seen it pop right out(the seal) unbeknownst to the operator. At that point ice,water,debris, road grime etc. gets into that cavity/nice open bearing. Failure rate increases tremendously. Might be better to leave it sealed on both sides. There are many riders out there that just abuse their machines, and never check them over. Sounds like your very meticulous & it gets checked on a regular basis.
I understand about the shavings in the chaincase. The automotive industry has used this method for years in automatic transmission pans,rear differentials,etc. They place a magnet in there to collect any metal shavings. I believe your sled has a magnet at the tip of the dipstick. My 94 does not. Even though I have never had any problems with shavings, in 1996 I epoxyed a magnet to the lower chaincase cover to collect any. This is a situation where I may have mine in backwards but it has worked for me. For someone else ??? As always, I just call it like it is whether its racing or this kind of talk. What I've experienced. Be Good!!! Dave

·
Registered
6,219 Posts
The seal on the backside is mearly a dust cover more than anything and as Dave stated it can be ripped out and open a whole new can of worms.
Dave, your 94 came with the open bearing facing the oil, mine did also.
Around 95 or 96 Doo decided to seal it off to the oil, the theroy of metal shavings destroying a bearing is B.S.!
Look at an old car with 200,000 miles on the rear end, the oil NEVER gets changed and if you do the oil is almost silver with shavings from the gears wearing down.
Their are at least 4 bearings in their bathing in this gunk and rarely does it take one out.
If Skidoo said their "edit for bad language" dont stink some would say their right!
Personally I dont care how anyone runs their bearing seals, I just am giving some of you my personal experience and thought I would share.
I think 32 years on a sled and wrenching on them too gives me a little knowledge on some of the mechanical end of it.

·
Registered
112 Posts

this was my coment, i merly messed up, but i would never run the sealed side towards the gear on any sled i build.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
That was my reason for making the comment early on. "Is this a Joke"(not said to offend anyone). Not till I was proven wrong was I aware that Doo had changed the bearing seal position in the later models. As Mikadoo stated, early Doos came with the open side towards the chaincase to constantly be in a bath of oil. With my background,(its only logical to have a open sided bearing exposed to oil) I would have never thought Doo would make a dumb move like this. Like you Mikadoo, NOS, I've been around this kind of stuff a long time also and have seen poorly designed products hit the market and the public pays the price for someones screw-up. My intention on these sites if to offer my real life experiences that I see day in day out. I don't care how a bearing is placed on someones sled. Its only my $.02, take it for what its worth. Dave

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MACH D said:
That was my reason for making the comment early on. "Is this a Joke"(not said to offend anyone). Not till I was proven wrong was I aware that Doo had changed the bearing seal position in the later models. As Mikadoo stated, early Doos came with the open side towards the chaincase to constantly be in a bath of oil. With my background,(its only logical to have a open sided bearing exposed to oil) I would have never thought Doo would make a dumb move like this. Like you Mikadoo, NOS, I've been around this kind of stuff a long time also and have seen poorly designed products hit the market and the public pays the price for someones screw-up. My intention on these sites if to offer my real life experiences that I see day in day out. I don't care how a bearing is placed on someones sled. Its only my $.02, take it for what its worth. Dave
[snapback]266079[/snapback]​
Hey guys, jump off the ego train for one second, I know you are all pro certified mechanics and know everything in the book and then some, but I do believe the bombardier plant has been at it just a little longer than you guys.

They switched it for a reason, and I have never heard of anything failing because of the bearing turn around.

I started this topic to double check a move I made, and it has turned into unwanted debate.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Cudney Racing said:
The reason the seal is on the gear side is so that any metal shavings, from wear on the gear or chain don't get into the bearing, the bearing will get oil due to the fact that the oil can pass around the center of the shaft and around the outside of the bearing but shavings and filings can't. -- Bill
[snapback]263253[/snapback]​
Bill,
BRP tech's could not have said it better

Cheers,
Evel

1 - 20 of 22 Posts