Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
No more sled
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am borrowing my Father in Laws truck this week while my wifes vehicle is getting some repairs after a guy ran a stop light. When you push the button for the power window you can here the motor running but nothing moves. Acutally the window is duct taped in the up position right now since it would fall all the way down if it wasn't. Back in the winter the window was frozen shut and he tried to lower it and that is when he broke it. Any suggestion on how to pop the panel off so I can take a look?

·
Registered
712 Posts
You need a new window regulator. Get one from GM the after market ones don't last long. On my 02 I pop off the window switch modual, screw under there. Pop trim piece around door handle, screw under there. Panel slides up to get off the clips it hangs on.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I am borrowing my Father in Laws truck this week while my wifes vehicle is getting some repairs after a guy ran a stop light. When you push the button for the power window you can here the motor running but nothing moves. Acutally the window is duct taped in the up position right now since it would fall all the way down if it wasn't. Back in the winter the window was frozen shut and he tried to lower it and that is when he broke it. Any suggestion on how to pop the panel off so I can take a look?
if the motor is running, the cable is broke. Remove the switch pannel on the door by rolling action-pulling in. disconnect. the door has a cover at the handle (on the inside), go ahead and pop that off. then remove the triangle on the inside where he mirror bolts on. pull all the screws that hold the door pannel on, i belive there is two or three. then just pick up on the plastic. it takes a little convincing to do it.

i've had to replace both of my front doors so far. when it comes time to replace the motor and track, (it comes as one piece, and there is no replacing just one part) it is easiest to have a extra set of hands

·
Registered
735 Posts
oh, and the napa part is about 90$ us. the g.m is quite a bit more (about 300$ the last i checked). i figured i could replace them 3 times and still be ahead. the napa ones have been on my truck for 3 years now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I work for a GM dealer. I am mostly a sales/ business manager but I also step in to cover for the collision centre manager for vacation, sick days etc.

The NAPA price for after market parts are usually much better. However, try calling a used parts dealer. You might be suprised at the price as well. Sometimes you can get parts for parts such as the track. For instance an 03 Montana, GM window regulator assembly $1300. Used parts dealer $60 for necessary parts to fix the problem.

Aberdean is most likely correct about the cable but there it's also possible to be a few other things as well. Be carefull with the clips for the door panel, they aren't difficult to break.

·
Devil Dog
1,848 Posts
I had to replace my motor in my 03 Chevy. I got a new one from ebay for $30. Has worked great since then, that was just over a year ago. But everyone is right if the motor is working the cable is broke. Look up GMtruck forms and there is several step by step topics for replaicing them.

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
Advance Auto Parts had a lifetime warranty on thier regulator that I got from them. Seems like it was around the 90.00 mark, but since I've got connections there I got it 20% off.

I too had to replace both sides on my Chevy. High wear item for sure!

The above posts are right, lucky for you your hands are smaller to work on the regulator itself, I couldn't do it by myself, had my fiance help me as her hands could get the old one out! Its much easier to have someone guide the glass in place though, don't over tighten the clamps either! CRACK!

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
I bought one for the drivers side off ebay a few years ago for 30-40 bucks. It works faster then the one I bought from Car quest for around 80 bucks for the passenger side last year. It just depends how fast you need it.

To change it, its stupid easy. Couple screws in the door, then the panel slides up and off. Couple bolts on the inner door and glass, a wire connector and bam. Done.

If its been broken for a while, there will be mess wrapped around the gear on the motor. Best just to buy one and replace it while you have it apart. No need to do it twice.

It is possible to just buy the motor or the cable. But never a lot of sense to me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
make sure you have or go buy a door panel removal tool 10-20 dollars at most its a v shaped angled prying tool ie flat head screwdriver/ prybar or you risk breaking the holdind TABS. there are 2 pot speed potentioometers in the door to adjust winow speed and door locks also....good luck

·
No more sled
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks eveybody this is good info.

·
No more sled
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ironicly last night one of my wires popped off of the motor on my passanger side window. if you would like i can take pic by pic if you want. i don't plan on doing it utill this afternoon, but,... let me know
That would be perfect. Let me know if you want my email address so you can send the pics.

thanks alot

·
Registered
735 Posts
This piece can be removed by rolling either direction. THe door lock just pops off with a screwdriver behind the outer plastic flange

Pull out the back of the plastic, and you'll have to pull the lever in order to get it all the way out

This is one of two screws that have to be removed, the other is behind the power door/window buttons

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
^^Where are the rest?

Be careful with the door lock lever as well. It's only held in by the cardboard backing. If the cardboard is dented back where the tabs are on the lock lever, it will eventually start falling out.

·
GSX = Gone Swamp X-ing
70,746 Posts
My dad has had both sides go on his 2001 Silverado. Cables broke both times but the motors were fine.

When the first one went, he got quoted about $300 for the new complete assembly. He said 'nuts to that', went to a bicycle shop and bought a length of brake cable for about $3. Got home, took the old cable out, strung up the new cable, made a few tweaks/tension adjustments and put it all back together. It's still working several years later. He did the other one last year as well.

Don't spend the big $$$ for a whole new assembly when all you need is a $3 length of bicycle brake cable and a bit of free time!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts