Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TRA needs a total rebuild, and while I'm at it, instead of simply replacing the ludicrously expensive Ski-Doo components ($50 a roller times 3, $12.50 a plastic slider/oring times 6, and three ramps at unknown but likely expensive ramps, and a spring, maybe even a helix as it looks a bit worn down from the bushing) I thought I may as well upgrade. I realize the rollers may not be included in a clutch kit, but the springs, helix, ramps, teflon sliders etc. may be.

I was thinking a Dynamo Joe kit, or a Cudney kit, I've heard nothing but good about both.

I don't race, it's a 2001 MXZ X 800 with a 2002 motor and SC10 III skid installed. Everything else is stock, even the jetting/gearing. I heard clutching is the best bang for the buck, and that it can make a real difference in performance feel.

·
Metalhead
9,149 Posts
If you have a formula style secondary then i can't help.

If you have an rer secondary, then I can help.
If you were to find an rer secondary 2000~2006 they are on the net in snowmobile swap forums, for anywhere $100~$150, then I can help.

If you find a2003~newer rer secondary all you have to do is remove one shim from inside the secondary and then reset the belt deflection as this will make the newer vsa narrow down to your stock belt size of 1-3/8".

S8X...it would rip arse compared to stock calibration....!!!

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I do have the old Formula secondary unfortunately, but I could consider buying the RER one I suppose and selling mine, although I'm surprised that nothing at all (worthwhile) can be done with the Formula....it's that bad?

And do you do anything with the TRA drive clutch? If so, just wondering what components you include. I presume it would be best to combine any TRA work with the above RER secondary?

·
Metalhead
9,149 Posts
freddy2 said:
Well I do have the old Formula secondary unfortunately, but I could consider buying the RER one I suppose and selling mine, although I'm surprised that nothing at all (worthwhile) can be done with the Formula....it's that bad?

And do you do anything with the TRA drive clutch? If so, just wondering what components you include. I presume it would be best to combine any TRA work with the above RER secondary?
[snapback]740121[/snapback]​
Keeping the formula style secondary there are other vendors than me who can supply a kit.

I don't do non-rer stuff, years ago I knew that rer was coming and going to be here to stay, so I just press on with new stuff.

Good luck

Joey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts