Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I thought I would share my project with you and a few questions I have. The reasons for this build are: It's headed to my remote cabin where it has to be flown in, so that limits my options.... And because I can.... I'm starting with a 2000 Tundra R, modifications will be a 151X15X1.5'' track with B550's sprockets, SC5-U rear suspension out of a 2014 Expedition sport, 250 Tundra gears, rebuild engine, oil injection deleted, Oil tank will be converted to a small reserve fuel tank, 3'' seat raise with under seat storage, 6'' handle bar raise, 6'' tunnel extension, significant front end beef ups... etc.

Possibility's I'd appreciate your input on are:

A more modern secondary clutch? Reason's would be for better shifting and parts availability. I'd also like any clutching recommendations you all have.

TMX 38 Carb and/or tempa flow and/or cold air intake... With the big track I'd like to best performance out of the little motor I can get without sacraficing any reliability.

One of my frustrations with the stock tundra is that when breaking trail in deep snow the engine heats up the cowling, where the air intake is and it's impossible to lean it enough to keep it from bogging down.

Thanks!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive lighting Gas
Tire Automotive tire Hood Wheel Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Machine tool Rim Motor vehicle Gas
Crankset Gear Automotive tire Rim Wood

Photograph Line Gas Wood Machine

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Tread Bumper

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

· Registered
798 Posts
If your on Facebook join the ski-foo tundra owners page, lots of really good information there.

I’m doing close to the same thing with my 94 but with a 144 track. Definitely the air intake is in a bad spot being it just pulls the under hood warm air and the belt dust. I made another intake on the opposite side that draws outside cold air. Any good venting to keep the under hood temps helps too also wrapping the exhaust. As to the tempflow, I like the intelajet system it’s works get on my one snowbike and easy to tune.

· Registered
428 Posts
Nice project. I'm a little jealous of that skid.

I'm not sure about going with a 38mm carb. From what I've read, I'm not sure a bigger carb will help unless you do a little porting on that motor as I think its stock porting limits its air flow. A bigger carb means less air velocity through the carb at lower rpms which can negatively effect mixture.

I can't help with clutching, though as you already know, clutching is pretty important.

On the motor, you could take .015-.020 off the head to increase compression without ill effects if you have access to 91 octane. I did that and beat the crap out of my 06 for 2 years. I didn't run into any issues until I went more aggressive with the ignition timing.....

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. I'm not going to up the compression any because the motor is so dead reliable the way it is, and I don't want to have to run premium or avgas.... Sorry, I got carried away building and forgot to take pictures for a while.... I'm going to try the bigger carb with a cold air induction and we'll see. The new carb bolts up with with minimal modifications to the intake boot or air box. I can always go back to the stock carb easy enough.... Project is coming along. I forgot to mention before it's going to get the ski widening kit.

Added to the scope a little bit: Putting a left hand throttle on it, LED headlight and tail light, and with the LED's theoretically I have enough juice to run a heated seat, so I'm going to put that in too.

I decided I am going to try and retrofit the current generation Tundra Shock tubes and shocks. If this works, it'll give me a current suspension, not only will it have more travel, but it will have parts I can buy, especially shocks and springs. The more I can get away from parts I can't buy any more, the better.

I settled on an 8" bar extension, I think the height is going to be perfect for me. Rotated forward, the handle bars don't extend any further aft than they did before.

The last "new" plan is to raise the windshield by adding about 10'' to the bottom with a sheet of 1/8" UHMW. Project is going to slow down considerably now as I wait for parts to arrive and have to head out to work out of town for a while.

Oh, and I decided what the heck and ordered some LinQ bases, so I'll be able to quickly switch out the trapping box for a rack, spare gas, or whatever else I might dream up.

Current Questions: Where to start with jetting the new carb? It's a TM36... I was throwing around the idea of 2 sized bigger on the main jet to start and see where that gets me. Not sure about the needle setting yet. I have 2 exhausts for the machine, one stock and one I cut open and removed the insulation and baffling from the can... I may start with the stock one and then swap over. I assume that may change the jetting as well...

Lastly, a big thanks to B550 for machining not only the drive sprockets, but some bushings for the secondary clutch and all his advise.

Think That's it for now. As always I welcome your thoughts and ideas.

Sean
Motor vehicle Machine tool Toolroom Engineering Gas

Automotive tire Table Motor vehicle Tire Wheel

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Engineering Gas

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Asphalt Wood

Tall handle bars! I'm 6'3'', hence the seat box and tall bars... I can kneel or stand without hunching over now. That's why I X-braced the arch. I may add a strap to the tunnel where the bottom of the steering post attaches yet.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi there, been a while but the machine is essentially done. Fine tuning a few things before taking it all apart, putting it in the plane, and flying it out to the cabin. If there's interest in the project I'm happy to share detail about how it went.

Sean
Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Tire

Snow Automotive tire Slope Snowmobile Vehicle

· Registered
209 Posts
to move the handlebars forward an inch or so:
take off the bolts that hold the top U bracket that hold the handle bar post in place, then put spacers of some kind with longer bolts. I used two sections of inch square pipe. Not only does this allow you to stand a little more forward, but, I pass all cables and wire between the two spacers, which means closing the hood wont kink or pull at anything. You have to cut the slot into the hood a little deeper though, so i only do this mod on my tundras that have a less than perfect hood. With your new carb there, you might be able to put more than roughly an inch, but with stock, the carb limits the spacers to around 1 inch

· Registered
209 Posts
nice build by the way. I am obsessed with low weight, so i wouldn't do many things that you've done.

I rode behind this guy who modified his tundra windshield almost exactly like that. i swear it was -20 and he wasn't wearing a hat or anything on his bald head. it makes the riding really cozy. I ride by tundras like bucking broncos, so windshields like that just don't make sense, but if you are into sitting and taking in the scenery...

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The tub? Yes, it’s pretty straight forward. It’s attached by large pop rivets from the factory. I re-attached it with rivnuts and screws.
I took it back apart and flew it up to its new home a few days ago. It’s all put together and running well. It seems to do everything I was hoping.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts