Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to snowmobiling and this is my first sled. I don't know too much about them so any help would be appreciated. I just got a new motor installed on my 2000 summit 700 and it was runnin good up till now. I have put about 80 kms on it and it's starting to sound really loud and I was told that it smells like burning plastic when I am riding it?! Some one had told me that the oil pumps in that year of sled are crappy and that they have 3 settings and should be set on the 3rd setting?! They also said that the reason it smells like burning plastic was that the sled is running too lean?? I am just curious if anyone else has had any problems with this year of sled and motor??!! I was told to mix some oil in with the first two gas tanks that I run in the sled...wich I have done and am currently on my last of those two tanks. I stopped riding it for right now since I do not want to blow the motor again!! I don't know why the motor blew before either, they never told me. The sled has 6200 kms on it, so maybe thats why.LOL! Just wondering if anyone can explain how I can find out if anythings wrong with the sled, or if it's just me being paranoid. i only had the sled for about 30 - 50 kms before the motor blew and I had to replace it!! Well, any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Nick

·
Registered
216 Posts
the burning plastic smell you are smelling is typical of a fresh engine it should have gone away by now thoe I have a 2000 mxz 700 and they wer set a little lean from the factory for oil but if a good shop did the work they should have already looked into this for you. as for putting oil in the gas yeah you should do this but olny for the first tank but its ok that you did it for the second tank it might take a little while longer for the rings to seat and might be the cause for the (fresh engine) smell to still exist. As fot the loud sound you are hearing it might be a loose bolt or tow on the y pipe look underneath it and see if their is a oily mess underneath it if so the bolts in the y pipe (haed pipe) may have worked them selves loose or you may have blown a exaust gasket. hope this helpes

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.