Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here is the story...

Had to do a engine swap cause of a con rod failure on the ol 380, New engine has been in and working for a little while till last week, The Yellow to yellow wire in the 4 pin plug coming out of the Stator burned out of the plug housing, Seems like it was a resistance issue more than a short. Carrying on I re-connected the two wires outside of the plug. Seems like it took the VR and all of my lights out with it.

I've removed the 4 pin VR out of my sled, I went to royal 2 years ago and they gave me some BS 2 wire VR that seems to be Generic As F*ck. My hopes are to wire this up to replace my 4 pin VR. I have already killed off E-Start in this sled so I'm not worried about that. I read in a thread that both the Yellow and the Y/B wires have to be connected to the Yellow wire coming off of the VR and the Black goes to the black on the VR. The new VR is mounted already, Cleaned the frame... etc.

Could anyone confirm that Yellow and Yellow/Black Harness side both connect to Yellow on the VR side?

See attached pictures if my text isn't good enough (MS paint to the rescue!)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
NO

Yellow and Yellow/Blk out of the stator are the two sides of the circuit. Since it is A/C, it isn't really a Hot and Ground. But if you were to call them that, the Yellow would be the "Hot" and the Yellow/Bk would be the ground.

In theory, but not all sleds are wired like this, the Yellow/Bk will go to engine ground. You can take an ohm meter and test. It will be less than .5 ohms if you simply connect to a Yel/Bk with one lead and touch the engine or frame with the other.

Connecting the two yellows (yellow and Yellow/BK) together would short out the stator.

In your case, connecting the black and yellow/Bk wires together would most likely be the solution. Make sure the case of the VR is well grounded as well.

·
Sled nut
2,912 Posts
Okay here is the story...

Had to do a engine swap cause of a con rod failure on the ol 380, New engine has been in and working for a little while till last week, The Yellow to yellow wire in the 4 pin plug coming out of the Stator burned out of the plug housing, Seems like it was a resistance issue more than a short. Carrying on I re-connected the two wires outside of the plug. Seems like it took the VR and all of my lights out with it.

I've removed the 4 pin VR out of my sled, I went to royal 2 years ago and they gave me some BS 2 wire VR that seems to be Generic As "edit for bad language". My hopes are to wire this up to replace my 4 pin VR. I have already killed off E-Start in this sled so I'm not worried about that. I read in a thread that both the Yellow and the Y/B wires have to be connected to the Yellow wire coming off of the VR and the Black goes to the black on the VR. The new VR is mounted already, Cleaned the frame... etc.

Could anyone confirm that Yellow and Yellow/Black Harness side both connect to Yellow on the VR side?

See attached pictures if my text isn't good enough (MS paint to the rescue!)
Glad I could help lol

Sent from my HTC One S

1 - 3 of 3 Posts