Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what these wires are for? They are under the hood on the right hand side and are not connected to anything. They are just tie wrapped together and attached to the body.

I am wanting to install an electric start and was wondering if they had anything to do with the voltage reg/ rectifier in order to charge the battery.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Easier if we can see the wire colors.

That red/blue is part of the v-reg/key switch/reverse alarm. The reverse alarm ties into the red/blue from the rectifier/regulator to the key switch.

Can't really see the other wires.

Know this...most sleds of certain years are all wired the same. Then some get different options. A sled that came with no e-start for instance will usually have all the wiring for that option. The loose ends/connections just get tied up and tucked out of the way at the factory.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
That's a rare sled if it really is a 2000. Don't think I've ever seen one. I ordered a new 700 that year, and there was no 800 at the time, but I believe some were mid season releases.

What is the build date on your tunnel decal?

In any case, just ring out the wires with a voltmeter to see what they are. And a 2001 manual should be pretty close.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Easier if we can see the wire colors.

That red/blue is part of the v-reg/key switch/reverse alarm. The reverse alarm ties into the red/blue from the rectifier/regulator to the key switch.

Can't really see the other wires.

Know this...most sleds of certain years are all wired the same. Then some get different options. A sled that came with no e-start for instance will usually have all the wiring for that option. The loose ends/connections just get tied up and tucked out of the way at the factory.
I'll post another picture so you can see the wires. PS, it's a 2002 MXZ. I got the year wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a rare sled if it really is a 2000. Don't think I've ever seen one. I ordered a new 700 that year, and there was no 800 at the time, but I believe some were mid season releases.

What is the build date on your tunnel decal?

In any case, just ring out the wires with a voltmeter to see what they are. And a 2001 manual should be pretty close.
My mistake. It's a 2002. I must have been thinking about something else.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
PM your email and I'll send you the 02 manual.

I believe the red/wt single wire there is from the key switch and is fused with an inline glass capsule type fuse. Don't know the amps. You'll have to add the fuse and subsequent wire to the battery pos terminal. This charges the batt. It is possible that the clear plastic at the end of the wire is half of the fuse holder.

Guessing you don't have reverse. The 2 wire gray plug with red/blue and black wire likely plugs into the reverse alarm.

Can't tell but the other 2 wire black plug with blue seal looks like it has a red/blue and black wire also. Guessing that comes from the key switch and goes to your rectifier. If that's red/green and black then it goes to your starter solenoid.

Don't know about the other 2 wires.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
PS I can't read anything on the data plate. If the mfg date is 2001 then it's a model year 2002.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PM your email and I'll send you the 02 manual.

I believe the red/wt single wire there is from the key switch and is fused with an inline glass capsule type fuse. Don't know the amps. You'll have to add the fuse and subsequent wire to the battery pos terminal. This charges the batt. It is possible that the clear plastic at the end of the wire is half of the fuse holder.

Guessing you don't have reverse. The 2 wire gray plug with red/blue and black wire likely plugs into the reverse alarm.

Can't tell but the other 2 wire black plug with blue seal looks like it has a red/blue and black wire also. Guessing that comes from the key switch and goes to your rectifier. If that's red/green and black then it goes to your starter solenoid.

Don't know about the other 2 wires.
Awesome! Now I'm getting somewhere.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Got it. That's the VIN. The MFG Date is down in the black area. I will work on the vin and send you the manual. Make sure to download the manual. It will expire on the web in a couple days.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
3 volumes in that pdf. Yours is volume 3.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
So, a 2002 model year in fact. Built for the US market and is an MXZ X.

The manual should be there. Make sure to download.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts