Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
So I upgraded from a 1995 Triton to a 2000 enclosed...Just took it up to Grand Marais this past weekend and it was great.

It is a 2000 Expedition deck-over trailer and it is little heavy. 2130 lbs empty and 4000 lbs loaded w/ four sleds. The walls and roof are 16" o.c. and when you shove on the man door opening, while the door is open,the whole trailer moves. It is built fairly stout from what I can tell. I crawled under the entire trailer and looked at every weld and they where all good. The same goes with all the interior welds.

It has:

• Marine plywood floors
  • all stainless steel fasteners and hinges
  • emergency breakaway switch
  • two roof vents with Max flow covers
  • "E" rated tires
  • electric breaks on both axles
  • Torsion axles
  • 215/75/R14 aluminum rims/tires

and it is high enough so it does not scrape the ground when going up and down steep inclines.

I added the two exterior floor lights, 18' of interior LED lighting on both sides and installed Electric break controller on my truck.

I need to get some ski glides on the ramps and some for the front to help guide the sleds out the door. Not going to do full guides at this time.

I would like to add some other things here and there and do some repair work on the side door but it is good to go as is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Few more pictures I could not add in the first bunch...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
First thing I did was had all five tires remounted on the rims, all new valve stems, and balanced so there are no worries about tires holding air for the first trip.

Also checked the hubs and made sure they spun easy and even with no wobble and no movement or play with regard to bearings. I will remove and check all hubs and break pads this now the season is over.

The front door needs a spring assist on it. It must weigh 70 - 100 lbs

I will remove the Yamaha stickers when the weather gets warmer and look into some new graphics.

Reactions: 74Craig

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
Glad you like it. Looks good for a 17 year old box! So rear door has spring lift on it, but front door does not? Seems like a strange way to build a trailer. Might be challenging to add. Or are you saying the front spring lift is just broken and need something fixed?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Nice trailer! There are some plus factors over an inline with a deck-over. Especially with 15" tires like Don was saying, usually you only see those on steel frame models. Sure beats an open trailer and covers. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Glad you like it. Looks good for a 17 year old box! So rear door has spring lift on it, but front door does not? Seems like a strange way to build a trailer. Might be challenging to add. Or are you saying the front spring lift is just broken and need something fixed?
Yes, the rear door is spring lift with cables but there never was a spring lift installed on the front door. The front door is kind of heavy without it so I will be adding one this summer for sure. They look to be about $120.00 for the parts.

The rims are 15" dia and the tire is 26" dia.

I am going to make a screen insert for the service door opening if I cannot get a aftermarket screen door for it. I would like to leave the door open for cooling and ventilation during the summer.

For sure, no more covers and salt spray.....

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
Take the trailer to a garage door company. They put a spring assist in one of my older trailers. Those springs can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.

Check out etrailers.com or Pit Pal products for rear door screens and covers.

Don~

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information. I will do just that.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
You found the secret of Traverse City! Excellent food.

·
Registered
29,311 Posts
Not to hijak the thread but i seen you picture in Snogoer Ski-Cat-Doo lol, nice score on the trailer looks sharp!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See you're from Traverse.

We were there last week. Friends took us to a restaurant called Boones Long Lake Inn.

GREAT FOOD.

Don
That is a good place. Also try Modes Bum Steer in downtown and Peegeo's on the south east side of Traverse.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not to hijak the thread but i seen you picture in Snogoer Ski-Cat-Doo lol, nice score on the trailer looks sharp!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks,

Reactions: 74Craig

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got a cost to install the new door spring setup for the front of the trailer.

Parts, setup, welding installation and new s.s. cables for the existing rear door $530.00

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The shelve is 6" deep and super duty. Easily holds car jack (bottle style), tie down bars, and 1 gallon oil containers.

Nothing has bounced out yet.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had the door lift installed last week and it works great. It was a few bucks more than I stated but either way it is only one handed operation now. I loaded up the trailer with all my winter/snowmobiling stuff and parked it for the summer.

So much nicer now. enclosed, dry, locked, and out of site for the most part.

I will rebuild the side door in a week or so now that warmer weather is here.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Nice trailer! My brother-in-law bought a used Expedition trailer a few years back and the build quality was outstanding, perfect in every way. Do they still make Expedition trailers? I don't recall hearing anything about them lately. If I remember correctly, weren't these made in the southern part of lower Michigan? Excellent trailers, very sad if they ceased production.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts