Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
very good friends and customers of our dealership went to st. zenon, canada for a nice weekend trip....both are brothers..third is the elders son.... all three sleds, trailer and brand new 05 2500hd chevy....STOLEN...GONE...all their cell phones, business check book, wedding ring, you name it, it's gone....these were two 05 x's, and an 04 500ss ADR...the hotel/motel video camera mysteriously "malfunctioned" the night it happened, so much for security!! i know this isn't the first time someone heard this kind of story, just thought i'd share these guys horrible exp. so that everyone learns that you have to take every precaution when you take this kind of trip to canada....EVERY YEAR THIS HAPPENS TO HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE IN CANADA(I'M SURE IT HAPPENS IN THE STATES TOO, JUST NEVER HEAR AS MUCH LIKE THE CANADA TRIPS)
CONPIRACY!!! I SAY....I BET THE COPS...HOTEL/MOTEL OWNERS...CAR DEALERSHIPS(TO CUT THE KEYS)...YOU NAME IT ARE IN ON IT....NOT SAYING ALL, BUT QUITE A FEW FOR THIS KIND OF VOLUME OF STOLEN ITEMS...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
smithpackard ironworks said:
very good friends and customers of our dealership went to st. zenon, canada for a nice weekend trip....both are brothers..third is the elders son.... all three sleds, trailer and brand new 05 2500hd chevy....STOLEN...GONE...all their cell phones, business check book, wedding ring, you name it, it's gone....these were two 05 x's, and an 04 500ss ADR...the hotel/motel video camera mysteriously "malfunctioned" the night it happened, so much for security!! i know this isn't the first time someone heard this kind of story, just thought i'd share these guys horrible exp. so that everyone learns that you have to take every precaution when you take this kind of trip to canada....EVERY YEAR THIS HAPPENS TO THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE IN CANADA(I'M SURE IT HAPPENS IN THE STATES TOO, JUST NEVER HEAR AS MUCH LIKE THE CANADA TRIPS)
CONPIRACY!!! I SAY....I BET THE COPS...HOTEL/MOTEL OWNERS...CAR DEALERSHIPS(TO CUT THE KEYS)...YOU NAME IT ARE IN ON IT....NOT SAYING ALL, BUT QUITE A FEW FOR THIS KIND OF VOLUME OF STOLEN ITEMS...

[snapback]260078[/snapback]​
I heard of the similar case 2 years ago, but was a new 250 supercab ford diesel and an empty 4 place covered in sled trailer (empty but with grip and tools), again the keys were in the hotel front desk (probably copies made), never caught the guys. The folks had to rent a uhaul to return to Winnipeg.
They say it's improving in this area but sounds like it's still there, probably an inside job too from the looks of it.
Here's to the crooks, I hope you break down somewhere and no one stops for you "edit for bad language"s.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Very sorry to hear of the mishap. It sucks to read stuff like that and it sucks even more when it's someone you know. The people that steal equipment likely can't afford this stuff or they're jealous. Try not to go off the handle. It my not be as cut and dry as you think. Sure thefts happen but where, when and how many during a season? Who know these stats? Certainly not me! That's why we purchase insurance, and that's also why insurance is so expensive. The key is to catch the theives while you're carrying your nine iron, or bat.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mountain Goat said:
Very sorry to hear of the mishap. It sucks to read stuff like that and it sucks even more when it's someone you know. The people that steal equipment likely can't afford this stuff or they're jealous. Try not to go off the handle. It my not be as cut and dry as you think. Sure thefts happen but where, when and how many during a season? Who know these stats? Certainly not me! That's why we purchase insurance, and that's also why insurance is so expensive. The key is to catch the theives while you're carrying your nine iron, or bat.

[snapback]260105[/snapback]​
you said it right!!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I feel very sorry for your friends. that really sucks losing EVERYTHING! I go to St.Zenon 3-4 times a season. Do you know the name of the plase it was stolen from? Just curious, Some places seem to have more problems than others.

·
Summer Sucks.
4,032 Posts
Not good at all sorry to hear that man.

I know about 15 people who are heading to St Zenon right now to ride for the week. Hope they come back with everything they went with.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I heard that St Zennon & St Donat & Lac Magantic areas are the highest crime areas.
"Last year 384 sleds were stolen in 8 weeks." 7 sleds per day.
None recovered, It makes you think?

Somebody must have a lot of inside connections.
The areas listed above are were most Americans go to ride also.
And they do the most advertisements for those areas even if the snow conditions are not that good they will tell you its great.

·
Registered
651 Posts
very good friends and customers of our dealership went to st. zenon, canada for a nice weekend trip....both are brothers..third is the elders son.... all three sleds, trailer and brand new 05 2500hd chevy....STOLEN...GONE...all their cell phones, business check book, wedding ring, you name it, it's gone....these were two 05 x's, and an 04 500ss ADR...the hotel/motel video camera mysteriously "malfunctioned" the night it happened, so much for security!! i know this isn't the first time someone heard this kind of story, just thought i'd share these guys horrible exp. so that everyone learns that you have to take every precaution when you take this kind of trip to canada....EVERY YEAR THIS HAPPENS TO THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE IN CANADA(I'M SURE IT HAPPENS IN THE STATES TOO, JUST NEVER HEAR AS MUCH LIKE THE CANADA TRIPS)

Yes, that is a horrible experience
and I too feel very sad for your buddies/customers...but be very careful about tarring the whole darn country with this sort of sweeping statement: "Every year this happens to thousands of people in Canada..."

When it does happen, it rightly attracts a lot of attention, but "every year", to "thousands of people in Canada"?...that just isn't true, and it's irresponsible to stereotype the entire country that way.

Unfortunately, there are certain locations in Quebec (including St. Zenon) that, rightly or wrongly, have a reputation for sled theft problems (rumoured to be mob-related from Montreal)...but the same is NOT true everywhere in Quebec, and likewise not everywhere you go elsewhere in Canada.

Just as with automobiles, theft of sleds/trailers/trucks can and does, on occasion, occur anywhere, especially if they're not properly secured. Thankfully, here in Ontario, we don't seem to have an unusual theft issue of the sort attributed to certain Quebec locations.

Nobody is totally immune from this risk, which requires appropriate precautions to be taken whenever and wherever you travel.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
The Original Skeet said:
Huh. Whats the deal with the keys?... you have to leave your keys at the front desk? Thats crazy!
[snapback]260175[/snapback]​
Good question,,, what is the deal with the keys?

Im going up in 3 weeks, this is not what I want to hear!!!

What hotel????

·
Registered
414 Posts
conspiracy my "edit for bad language",you really think the cops car dealerships and motel owners are all in on it thats just retarded, and if you have to leave your keys at desk go somewhere else, could just be an employee doing all this not everyones else

·
Registered
803 Posts
The Original Skeet said:
Huh. Whats the deal with the keys?... you have to leave your keys at the front desk? Thats crazy!
[snapback]260175[/snapback]​
suppossedly you leave keys at front desk if you break down on trail they will come and get you for $25 an hour with your truck and trailer.
Just a note I went to Canada last week and drove further east to Ottawa and stayed at the Safari Hotel,heated garage and locked coral for truck and trailer Bernard was great he's the owner and they cater to the snowmobiler. It was the best trip I had and the trails were awesome.

I want to thank my Canadian friends for the use of their trails we met alot of nice Canadians only wish two things, first, I went to Canada sooner.... second, I spoke more French,hopefully if my health holds out I'll get another trip up there. It's worth the extra 2hr drive IMO as the 3.5 ft of snow was the best I've seen.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mountain Goat said:

[snapback]260105[/snapback]​
I AM NOT SURE ABOUT THAT. I beleive that they just might beable to afford it probley repeat ofenders and are making a mint off it. Some construction equiptment has homeing beacons in them so when stolen they can be found. Too much money is envolved here pay offs ext. ect.. if the locals wanted to find the theifs they could set em up that Bull shti. I hate having to constantly watch my stuff when I stop off some where or staying in a motel. I work construction and stay in motels more than i doo my own home. I have been lucky so far knock on wood (knock Knock) but I am constantly paranoid try to park so i can see from my window. Some times I am carrying tools that are to large to hide under the tonna cover. I am sure I will get hit yet BUT TRUST ME THEY DO NOT WANT ME TO CATCH THEM...........

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
No one should sugar coat this report from this area, it's bad. I read in a recent issue of a snowmobile mag. that the theft problem was decreasing in this area of Quebec (I can't find the article however, I'm sure someone else may be able to quote it) and in another article the "intepide snowmobiler" dosen't want to loose sight of his vehicle in the precuations he takes.. This ain't snowmobiling, sounds like Russian roulet.

·
Registered
803 Posts
irREVerent said:

Yes, that is a horrible experience
and I too feel very sad for your buddies/customers...but be very careful about tarring the whole darn country with this sort of sweeping statement: "Every year this happens to thousands of people in Canada..."

When it does happen, it rightly attracts a lot of attention, but "every year", to "thousands of people in Canada"?...that just isn't true, and it's irresponsible to stereotype the entire country that way.

Unfortunately, there are certain locations in Quebec (including St. Zenon) that, rightly or wrongly, have a reputation for sled theft problems (rumoured to be mob-related from Montreal)...but the same is NOT true everywhere in Quebec, and likewise not everywhere you go elsewhere in Canada.

Just as with automobiles, theft of sleds/trailers/trucks can and does, on occasion, occur anywhere, especially if they're not properly secured. Thankfully, here in Ontario, we don't seem to have an unusual theft issue of the sort attributed to certain Quebec locations.

Nobody is totally immune from this risk, which requires appropriate precautions to be taken whenever and wherever you travel.
[snapback]260219[/snapback]​
I agree we had the best time in Canada and met loads of GREAT Canadians. If you go use your head just as in the STATES you have to use common sense when leaving your stuff unattented. Research where you are going don't just load up and go ask on here where the places are to go and stay that's what we did and found a GREAT PLACE AND MET GREAT PEOPLE MY HATS OFF TO THE CANADIANS AND THEIR TRAILS AS THEY KNOW HOW TO KEEP A RIDER HAPPY. Some states should take a look at how they do it up there and take notes on how to use all that extra money they got from registering our sleds. Lastly, TRAIL CONDITIONS.COM found excellent advice there.........

·
Registered
412 Posts
If this was not a huge problem hotels would not have gated parking lots and indoor storage for your equipment! As for the inside job theory I 100% agree, to many people have equipment stolen every year for the authorities not to catch the people responsible. The only way not to catch these people is not to try!!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
chynax said:
If this was not a huge problem hotels would not have gated parking lots and indoor storage for your equipment! As for the inside job theory I 100% agree, to many people have equipment stolen every year for the authorities not to catch the people responsible. The only way not to catch these people is not to try!!!
[snapback]260263[/snapback]​
the heated garage is for convience as there were lots of sleds that people left outside for various reasons. I used the heated garage to make adjustments on my sled and was very thnkful for it. As for locked coral the theft problem in Canada like here in the States is magnified by the internet. I agree it sucks to have to worry about someone stealing your stuff but we UNFORTUNATELY DO NOT LIVE IN A PERFECT WORLD. For every theft there are thousands
of riders that had no misfortunes. They are just not on here posting what a wonderful time they had in Canada or anywhere for that matter. You can find locked storage in any State here in the US if you research. Theft is not just a Canadian problem and if you don't take a trip to Canada because you are afraid to have your stuff stolen it's YOUR LOSS of course this is just my opinion and we all know what opinions and the people that have them are
.I can only hope that when I leave this world I do find the "PERFECT" place cause I know that's where I'll be going and there will be SNOWMOBILES THERE

·
Registered
165 Posts

pull the coil wire out next time , that way the truck is not going anywere , theres a lot of things you can do to disable the truck just think about it

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
put a handgrenade under the drivers seat.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts