Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2016 800R (XS) and a 18' 850 (Gen4). Last season, we opened the season with the 800R needing a plug replacement, and just yesterday opened the season with the 850 needing a replacement. They're stored in a heated, clean garage and I run the E-TEC engine lubricant cycle before each summer of storage. Sleds are both around 1500 miles.

Any thoughts on what could be causing plugs to fail always in the beginning of season? Have heard some talk about starting/stopping quickly potentially contributing, but am finding it odd that this is happening on sleds with such low miles.

Would appreciate any thoughts!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Do you run the summarize on the sleds? I did on my 19 850 and fouled plugs. I choose not to on my 2020 Freeride and so far so good.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Full tank of treated gas? Summerize and then leave engine alone?

If the gas goes stale over summer...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Full tank of treated gas? Summerize and then leave engine alone?

If the gas goes stale over summer...
Yeah it had about a half tank in it then I summarized it with the electronic lubrication. Left alone until starting once or twice a few days leading up to first ride.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Besides putting sea foam in the gas when putting away for summer...nothing. Never had a problem with any two stroke or four stroke sleds ever. This is my first etec ski Doo, and I will not do the electronic summerization either come spring. Sea-foam in the gas and run it for a bit so it gets through everything, and that’s all she wrote for me.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
2 strokes need rpm to stay clean, I've got trouble with ones the ladies drive, the one my son drives is good, changing over to 4 strokes for this reason.

·
Super Moderator
29,432 Posts
When you take it out of summer mode be sure not to start it until you can start it and get it up to full operating temperature before shutting it off. The storage oil needs to completely burn off.

Maybe I'm just lucky but I have yet to foul a plug on start up doing it that way.

Reactions: Judge64

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
do not start unless you mean business ! the best thing you can do is charge the battery, new fuel, get geared up, start it and ride immediately. any gas engine needs enrichment to run cold. I'm talking engine temp. not weather temp. if you're starting it just to check it out, thoroughly warm it up, heat in the tunnel exchangers, place on stand and rev it up to purge the storage oil. starting and shutting it off will "load" the plugs up with oil and a rich gas mixture, which will foul the plugs. be aware that if you do not use a good ethanol fuel stabilizer, the gas will phase separate, so you'll be feeding straight water to the injectors. with the amount of water in ethanol fuel, you should take advantage of the automatic summerization, just don't start it unnecessarily. Good luck !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts