Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've always wanted a 99 mxz 670ho and just found one with 3,000 original kilometers.

My only worry about the whole sled is mpem as I've been avoiding sleds new enough to have these, lol.

If it causes a problem, what are my options and should I be worried.

Likely buying the sled tomorrow depending on what you guys think.

Thank you very much.

Also, can someone tell me the difference between a cdi and mpem? I don't know what it truly is aside from adding dess and rer for the reed valve sleds.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Don't worry about it. If you ever needed one there are plenty of them that have been parted out.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
CDI is simply a solid state ignition system (replaces old breaker style setups).

An MPEM, depending on the year, is a brain with a lot more functionality, parameters, etc.

They're actually relatively reliable, for consumer-grade electronics.

·
Mr Top Whore
103,136 Posts
The only issue with these sleds are they are a 1 Year build......MPEM and the ignition are a 1 year build......hard to find!
Not sure if there is a fix/replacement for it, unless the race department at Skidoo still offers it?

It was the first year for DESS on Skidoo's as far as I remember, but it was the MPEM that had a hotter timing curve for the 670HO, it ran flat top pistons and had a higher compression ratio.....no other S chassis sleds ran MPEMs either as far as I remember?
They are great sleds though, lots of power!! Still a very cool Skidoo......outdated, yes!

Depends what your using it for though?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The only advice I have is take very good care of your throttle cable! It has a plug in box on it and only made 98-99. My summit cable frayed and I just lucked out and found one on eBay. Very hard to find to find, I called all junk yards and old parts places

1 - 6 of 6 Posts