Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a buddy who is trying to put a 1997 700 motor in his 1999 mazh1
he took the whole side of the motor from his 1999 and put it on... used all the 1999
wireing and sled not running good only 8000 and 75 mph!!!!!

·
In Search Of PAH!
1,853 Posts
Did he use the cluches from the 1999? Flywheel and stator from the 99?

Basically he needs to use everything from the 1999 except for the 1997 engine itself. The coils, wiring, carbs, clutches, stator, flywheel, carb boots, reed valves, RAVE springs, and pipes all should have come from the 1999.

The other issue is that the 1997 water pump outlet points forward, where the 1999 points down.

Another issue is clutch alignment. There is about a 12 mm difference between the side of the engine of the 97 and 99. The 99 sticks out farther, so you'll probably be to one side of the windows of the engine mount holes.

I have the opposite of what your friend has -- a 1997 Mach 1 with a motor from a 1999 FIII 700.

Does his sled run good otherwise? Good compression? Idle smoothly? It could very well be a clutch alignment issue, or if he used the 1997 Rave springs (but the RAVE springs shouldn't make that much difference...)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
97mach1 said:
Did he use the cluches from the 1999? Flywheel and stator from the 99?

Basically he needs to use everything from the 1999 except for the 1997 engine itself. The coils, wiring, carbs, clutches, stator, flywheel, carb boots, reed valves, RAVE springs, and pipes all should have come from the 1999.

The other issue is that the 1997 water pump outlet points forward, where the 1999 points down.

Another issue is clutch alignment. There is about a 12 mm difference between the side of the engine of the 97 and 99. The 99 sticks out farther, so you'll probably be to one side of the windows of the engine mount holes.

I have the opposite of what your friend has -- a 1997 Mach 1 with a motor from a 1999 FIII 700.

Does his sled run good otherwise? Good compression? Idle smoothly? It could very well be a clutch alignment issue, or if he used the 1997 Rave springs (but the RAVE springs shouldn't make that much difference...)
[snapback]754466[/snapback]​
I have a post that is 3 pages long on this. I put a 98 700(motor,pipes,carbs) into a 99 Chassis using everthing 99 electrical wise; ignition housing, stator, pickup, flywheel, CDI, Key, DESS, etc, etc. It starts on first pull and idles like a dream, headlights are bright, gauges all work but runs like crap on the gas. The clutch engages and it drives about 15 mph and wants to Rev out, but just doesnt. Ive tried everything in my power and now i dropped it off at the dealer. If you find anything out on yours let me know and i'll do then same with mine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts