Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas as to why my 1998 SWT grip heaters are getting too hot? I now have to turn them off after a minute or so to prevent the rubber grips from starting to melt (not to mention my hands).

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 1993 skandic has done the same thing. It melted the grips and smoked the thumb warmer (Have to send it back to put the smoke back in...) Blew all the lights. I thought no problem, I'll just change the voltage regulator. That didn't work as it just seems to regulate the ignition side of the charging system and not the lighting side. So I played around looking for loose or broken wires to no avail. I finally ordered the manual it has a wiring diagram but no real good explanation of what to look for to correct the problem. After trying 3 new regulators I've decided to wait until my autoelectric guy comes back from down south to look at as I don't know where to look anymore.

I would start with your regulator and if it is an electric start it should be simpler to fix as everything should be rectified to 12 volts dc and not two coils charging two systems.

Be interested to hear how you make out.

Don

·
Registered
395 Posts
My experience has been that that a high voltage issue is often because of bad grounds. The voltage regulator bleeds excess voltage back to the body of the sled, if the regulator isn't well grounded, the voltage will spike. I would look at that first. I had a heck of a time figuring out the same problem on one of my sleds, ended up being a semi melted connector in one of the molex plastic plugs. Now I pack all of them with dielectric grease.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - Unfortunately, I am a poor electrician under the best of circumstances. I will see if I can find anything that looks funky. I put a new headlight bulb in and it lasted about 30 seconds before burning out....I'm not overly concerned about running it this way because it's a utility sled and we're almost done for this season; BUT I do have an expensive winch wired up and certainly do not want to damage that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts