Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 MXZ 500

What is stock factory gearing in gearbox?

I bought this sled Monday.

I will be opening the gearbox next week, and will be counting teeth on the sprocket and I might gear down since the sled came with a 1.5" cleat track. If it is still stock gearing, that 1.5" cleat may be working the little 500 a bit to much so I will be gearing it down.

For those of you who have had this sled, and you have geared it down, do you recommend 1 tooth or 2 teeth down ?

Thanks, Bone

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks !

Has anyone ever geared down to a 22 or 21 tooth on this sled and have any results for me ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I geared down to 21/43 and love it. Would only get between 80 and 85 mph in 3 to 6 inches of snows with stock gearing. Now getting 90+ in similar condition and I get there alot quicker. Had to play with the clutches a little to get the revs back down to 7900 though and thats is were mine is the fastest and quickest. Hope this helps.D

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
21-43...Hmmmm, did you have to go with a shorter chain, or did the stock one work ok ?

Is your track still .88" lug ? Or do you have a longer cleat ?

I may look into the 21 tooth gear.
I still need to crack open the gearbox and see what is in there. Who knows, it may be geard down already. But I doubt it.

Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was able to use the stock chain. Be careful happening the cover on it I snapped two of the four bolts off when I did mine. I have a 1" track with 96 studs. I love the accelaration this thing has now. Good luck. D

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mallett and others,

Thanks for the reply. I went and rode it last night 80 miles for its very first ride. We have 6 feet of snow where we were and of course it is packed down with 4-8 inches of fresh powder.

I realize that first off the 4-8 inches of powder will slow any sled down, But...I did get new oil in the gear box, cleaned the RAVE valves, and saw the stock gear of 23 was still in there and remember that this 500 cc sled has the 1.5" paddle track on it. My brother has the identical sled with the stock .88 cleat track and we raced
We were side by side in top end speed, but I got the hole shot with the 1.5" cleat. The book says the MAX RPM on a MXZ 500 is 7750. This was rapping out at 8000 set on clicker 3. It was dark, so I couldn't change the clicker to 2 to lower the RPM's. After the ride went on for 50 miles, my sled would drop RPM's down to 7500, and then 7000 sometimes. Then my brother would go flying by me. Awhile later, my sled would rap out to 8000 again, and we would be side by side again. Go figure

Before the ride, I took this sled to my mechanic and I had him remove both clutches and clean them. He did, and he said they were in great shape and so I do believe they are. We spent the night at my brothers place in 6 feet of snow, and this morning, we went for a 20 mile ride before I had to get home. I set the clicker on 2, and it lowered the RPM to 7800 and you could tell the difference in arm pulling performance compared to the clicker set on 3 with it cranking out 8000 RPM. It was snowing on us and very hard to see the trail , but was still able to sorta see how the sled reacted set on 2. It was very noticable and seemed to be working good.

Here is what I think. I am lugging down the engine and when the clutch shifts into high, my RPM settles to 75-7000 RPM, and granted, I was in sorta deep powder. but again, sometimes in the ride it would rap out again to 8000 in this 4-8 inches of powder and keep up with my brothers sled. Wierd!! I don't know what to think about this. Why would it go back and forth in RPM's in the 80 mile ride ? It was irritating when it did this, and fun when it didn't.

Since I think the engine is lugging out, I think I need to gear down to either a 22 or 21 tooth top gear.

Yea, you are right. My very first time removing the gearbox cover, I broke 1 bolt reinstalling. I learned my lesson then, and didn't repeat it the other night while changing the oil.

·
Registered
124 Posts
boneidaho said:
1998 MXZ 500

What is stock factory gearing in gearbox?

I bought this sled Monday.

I will be opening the gearbox next week, and will be counting teeth on the sprocket and I might gear down since the sled came with a 1.5" cleat track. If it is still stock gearing, that 1.5" cleat may be working the little 500 a bit to much so I will be gearing it down.

For those of you who have had this sled, and you have geared it down, do you recommend 1 tooth or 2 teeth down ?

Thanks, Bone
[snapback]752845[/snapback]​
I have a 98 500 mxz with factory gearing and factory.88 track. at 8100 rpm on a groomed trail my speedo will run over 90mph. hard to say how fast it is really going. i find that there is a power band where it accelerates like mad once you get 6000rpm and get it up on the pipe. in about 6in of snow i can run right with my brother's 583 form. deluxe.

love my mxz!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mallett,

I geared it down to 21-43, and you are right ! It pulls very hard all the way throughj the power band. Good advice you gave. Thanks. !

Mike,

Just a friendly note, but you may want to tone down the RPM's a little. The max RPM for the sled is 7750. Have you done this already ? If you haven't, PM me and I will visit with you about it. I don't look at Dootalk every day, so a PM will notify me on my email that I have a message to get with you . Very easy job to do if you haven't done it before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts