Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was 5 miles from home yesterday, and saw a 1998 MXZ 500 sitting next to the road. I went back to look at it, BUT I am NOT in the market for another sled. The only reason I went back to look at it was that I had the identical sled for 4 years up til one year ago and updated to a ZX chassis. So why am I looking at a S chassis again ?

I go to the door and a little o'l lady answer's the door and says it belong's to her nephew and she had better road side view for selling a sled I guess. I asked her how long it had been sitting in front of her house and she said 3 weeks and I was the first one to actually stop to look at it. I walked out to look at it, and it has 2126 miles on it and not a flaw in the body from head to toe. Seat had no tears, and no body damage. Under the hood was a little black, but what I expected from a yellow belly pan. The undercarriage had no rips or dents in bellypan or chassis either. I mean this sled was in excellent condition for its age and miles.

She gave me his number, and I called and left a message last night, and he finally called me 2 hours ago. I expected the worst as you all figure when you stop along the road to inquire about someones sled. Right off the bat, he says he want's ONLY $1000.00 for it. I 'bout choked on my tounge !!
That thing was worth at least $2000.00 around here. I just had to ask if he would take less.
He said what did I figure, and I said $800.00. He said how about $850.00 ? I said I would call him tomorrow and let him know since I really wasn't in the market for a sled.

I CAN HARDLY WAIT TIL TOMORROW TO TELL HIM $800.00 AND I'll TAKE IT !!!!

The only other time I got such a good deal was 7 years ago I was standing in line at Mc Donalds and while waiting I enter their drawing and ended up winning "50" Happy Meals !!!! I nearly cried .

What doo ya think of my deal ?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
ummmm AMAZING. wanna re-sell for $1,000?
awesome pick-up though, although i feel bad if the kid is getting ripped off but if he doesn't know any better i guess it won't hurt

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not a kid. Full grown adult and his wife who own thier own business and want to sell quick to buy a 4-wheeler. It is his wifes sled.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, its sorta home. The price I said is right on. Unbelievable sled for the price.
Excellent condition, cheap price.

Went and got it last night. Took it to the high pressure washer and afterwards, it looks sweet. You guys would not believe the condition this 500 is in. Nothing broke that can't be fixed quickly but the front bumper which was broke while unloading.

Paint decals are very bright but will be waxed this next week, plastic in very good shape, seat no rips, but needs an Armoral type cleaner wiped over it. He even gave me a Ski Doo cover with it.

After I did this last night, I took it to my mechanic to let him Pre-season it since there are things I don't have the expertise for such as removing both clutches and cleaning them, setting the oil flow to proper setting, and I want him to give it a compression- leakdown test and just a good go over and then I will do things such as cleaning RAVE valves and replace the gear oil when I get it home.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
alright, how about some photos now?? and congrats man, i hope a deal like that falls into my hands someday! hope everything works out for the best!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks !!
Since I will be gone at work very late the next 5 days, I won't be able go get it til this Monday. Will try to get some pics after that.

I just can't believe it sat there on his front lawn for 4 weeks and not one sole stopped to ask him how much he wanted for it. I was just out for a Saturday cruise down roads I very seldom travel and ran across it. They told me they paid $2300.00 for it 3 years ago at our local dealer and want to get a 4 wheeler now.

·
Team Cheeseburger
1,011 Posts
boneidaho said:
Hey thanks !!
Since I will be gone at work very late the next 5 days, I won't be able go get it til this Monday. Will try to get some pics after that.

I just can't believe it sat there on his front lawn for 4 weeks and not one sole stopped to ask him how much he wanted for it. I was just out for a Saturday cruise down roads I very seldom travel and ran across it. They told me they paid $2300.00 for it 3 years ago at our local dealer and want to get a 4 wheeler now.
[snapback]751431[/snapback]​
ya i know im raising the dead thread.

but i was wondering how to "setting the oil flow to proper setting" on this 98 mxz 500?

thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts