Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was putting sled in the trailer ready to go to the drag races and got sled 3/4 of the way in the trailer when the sled jsut shot off, and we now have no spark.. Just fixed radiator hose, had hole in it from 2ndary clutch hitting it. but got that fixed. dont know what made it loose spark help please checked everything obvious. on off swtich, kill switch, started to look at dess to see if something may have went in that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I Have a problem thats almost the same on my 98 z.some times it lights all three and some times not.I want to know how to test the stator because everything i herd sounds like the mach's eat stators if so what's the best way to cure problem. it started doing it three days ago does anybody know were to find info on this.

·
Registered
112 Posts
first if it runs at all it's not the stator...... all 3 coils fire the same.... i have a stator.. out of a 98... pull the cdi box and look for cracks, second relocate it.. it's under the carbs . not a good place to have..

·
Registered
70 Posts
hey thanks for the info.I did order a manual it should be here wendsday.I wil check the cdI tommorow.I was thinking it maybe a bad ground or wire rubbed .I bought it three months ago . then I had reverse put on it and electric start.I know the battery does not hold a good charge for long.I removed pos cable to see if something was drawing it down.I checked it with a circut tester "light" because my ohm meter was in my other shop that's a half hour away.I got it now so I can start test all wires the real way.if cdi is not cracked or looking ok as in fraed wires. can i test that with ohm meter and if so can you tell me how.i have not even had a chance to beat on this thing yet. just got a foot of snow today in pa. really thanks for all the help!!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
yes, the manual will give u readings and settings.....first pull the box, its not going to be easy pulling it. but u have to get it out.. the start checking wires....but like i said if u have spark on 1 or 2 cylenders then u may have a bad coil..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the big gun said:
thanks again!can it be a voltage regulater like maybe not being giving enough juise to charge bat and power coils.going out to shop to take cdi box out.

[snapback]279519[/snapback]​
well after taking the sled all apart the mpem module, and finding nothing wrong with it. we jumped the teather switch which we found out that is what was making it not spark. so after we put mpem and carbs and switch back together the sled has spark and is running again.

·
Registered
362 Posts
same thing last night it whas running good and next morning no spark all 3 spark plugs has no sparks we put in a new stater plate same thing we jumped the kill switch the theather switch and all no spark again tomorow ill take out the cdi box and check if its that....thanx for the info guys...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I got the cdi out and looked at it it looked ok but i could not test it because i need the manual to tell me how?after that i said the hell with it and we pulled the motor to look at the harness .it had some rub marks but nothing bad so i covered it with thick rubber hose and taped it up and it now will never rub through and i mean never.man i am sick of this game!!so not sure what else i can do at this point??but i do realiy thank you guy's for the help!!!!any more advice would be great thanks.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
the big gun said:
I got the cdi out and looked at it it looked ok but i could not test it because i need the manual to tell me how?after that i said the hell with it and we pulled the motor to look at the harness .it had some rub marks but nothing bad so i covered it with thick rubber hose and taped it up and it now will never rub through and i mean never.man i am sick of this game!!so not sure what else i can do at this point??but i do realiy thank you guy's for the help!!!!any more advice would be great thanks.

[snapback]280329[/snapback]​
I'm guessing the CDI. I have the same sled and after the second year my stator went but it basically just seemed to loose power then died and that was it (I was going about 70 mph at the time). In the fith year my CDI went and when that happened I was riding it and it was running fine. I shut it off for about 10 minutes and when I went to start it it fired once then died (no spark on all three). We loaded it up on a buddy's trailer and took it to my house where it started first pull! Further testing found it to run until I hit some good bumps and then die. To get it going I would pick up the front end and drop it a couple times and it would fire right up. It would run fun again until I hit some more bad bumps and the process was repeated. This year my lighting coil went which took out all the gauges, lights and bar warmers but the motor never missed a beat (just happened to glance down at my tach shortly into the ride and then noticed everything was out). Turns out that the lighting coil is part of the stator so now I'm on stator #3!

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
machzrcr said:
Just fixed radiator hose, had hole in it from 2ndary clutch hitting it. but got that fixed.
Whenever you remove the air box you need to ensure that the hose is pushed all the way into the holder on the side of it when it's re-installed or it will pop out like it did and rub on the secondary. This happened to a buddy with a CK3 so after witnessing that I put a piece of duct tape over mine to ensure it stays in place (I just folded an edge at one end to make it easy to remove).

·
Registered
21 Posts
id halfto agree with the ones that said to check your cdi box my 95 would spark good make some passes or ride it then there would be no spark got tired and took it in they work on it for 3 weeks trying new stuff then put a cdi off of a recked sled and that fixed the problem good luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
I pulled the motor looked at wiring harness and it all looked good.so i put rubber hose on the harness to keep it from rubbing through.i did not have tool to line clutch back up so i was going to bye one so i called dealer to see if they had one they said they would have to order one.they also have done a lot of work to this sled so they know me very well.so jack let me use the tool for free.so went to get the tool jack asked me what was going on i told him the story.they said that year was nown for weak stators some times they would not give cdi anough power to do its job.so they say its the stator they gave me a good one to try.i guese we will see if that works.also so if thats it then if i up grade to the new stayle then the problem will not come back.the people at smith marine are good people!please tell me what you guy's think please.and thank you guy's for all your help!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.