Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought the exact sled miles and all... I rode it a total of 1 mile so far so I dont have much input. But from what ive read so far the pipes are very restrictive and hard to get off, and the 98's foul plugs (course so dothe 05's so...). But I love the looks of the sled and its been a good mile of riding.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Make sure the bulletins are done on this sled-wiring bulletin for sure. Replace pipes for consistent good performance-Crank Shop, Jaw's, etc stockers need to be run across the whole lake to get hot for good performance. Handling is pretty crappy (tippy) and rear suspension is not the best-but it is a 98.

·
Registered
310 Posts
the pipes arent really restrictive , they are center dump pipes which means that the exhaust pipe coming from the cyl enters the tuned pipe chamber in the middle, this setup is very good for lowend torque but very bad for top end power. also the wiring harnesses under the motor NEED attention as they have a very bad tendancy to chaff through. rweally about the only other bad thing i can think of is the now outdated sc10 rear susp. update the rear suspension, put a set of pipes on it with the stock muffler, check/fix the wiring under the motor, make sure the motor has good compression and sounds good running etc and you will have one kick "edit for bad language" sled.hope i helped

·
Registered
24 Posts
They are a very good sled. Put pipes on it and clutch it and you will run with most anything. They are very reliable and as long as your updates were done you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
253 Posts
once&forall said:
They are a very good sled. Put pipes on it and clutch it and you will run with most anything. They are very reliable and as long as your updates were done you shouldn't have any problems.

[snapback]269994[/snapback]​
i asked the guy about the wiring and he said it had a recall and it was brought in , so im guessing it was fixed he said it was messing up the swithces on the handle bars., what kind of clutching can i do? i really dont need a lake racer, i would perfer a little more bottom/mid power than a blasting top end. would a ets boivin upgrade kit do the job as for the rear suspension?

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
jwittock670 said:

[snapback]269499[/snapback]​
Like others said ensure the updates have been done (wiring protector kit, 310-320-310 jetting, timing retarded to 0.065" BTD - they also had an update for the primary spring but mine ran better with the stock one). Some were worse for electrical problems than others. In the 7+ years I have owned mine I have replaced the CDI once and the stator twice (just had it done for the second time last week after 7000 miles - lots of people complain about the electrical problems with this year but I have had less problems than others with different sleds so I can't complain).

As for the pipes I put 2000 Mach Z end dumps on mine this year but I did like the performance of the center dumps, they were just a pain to take on and off and not as friendly maintenance wise. Overall I really like the sled which is why I have kept it so long (like any sled there are good ones and there are bad ones). WRT clutching there are all kinds of variables that you can play with like adding more pin weight or a different primary spring but if you want to skip the trial and error go with a reputable kit such as Bill Cudney's or Dynamo Joe's. You also have to consider the type of riding you do and the conditions you normally ride in and clutch to that (you have to decide if you want to clutch it for hard pack, powder or somehwere in between).

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
jwittock670 said:

I also meant to mention that with only 2200 miles on it that tells me one of two things, either the previous owner(s) never had much time to ride it or it spent most of it's life in the shop (like I said in my previous post, with any sled there are good ones and there are bad ones).

·
Registered
246 Posts
XcellR8 said:
jwittock670 said:

I also meant to mention that with only 2200 miles on it that tells me one of two things, either the previous owner(s) never had much time to ride it or it spent most of it's life in the shop (like I said in my previous post, with any sled there are good ones and there are bad ones).
[snapback]270375[/snapback]​
Make sure you have all the updates on the wiring. These things could be wiring nightmares. The thumb and handwarmer control on the handlebars were known to cause problems. The stator was known to be a problem. 98's did not have a vent from the hood to the clutch guard. They could be hard on belts, causing them to overheat and blow. I put a 99 hood on mine, and drilled holes in the belt guard. Center dump pipes weren't the best. They also tended to blow crankshaft bearings. Otherwise not a bad sled. They also had a recall on the track that year. I believe the original track had every other windo solid, but not sure. I put an internal drive sprocket in mine because the track was hard to tension. I had a ton of problems with track ratchet.

Good luck.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
anyone else have track ratchet..i can get this 98mach z for $1800, or i can trade my 95 mach 1 and my 97 mxz670 with no motor and 500$ for a 99 mach z 800..what do you guys this both are in good shape with about 2500 miles on both

·
Registered
246 Posts
doo me too! said:
How would you go about finding out if your sled has had all the updates.
[snapback]271698[/snapback]​
call ski doo. If it was done by ski-doo service, the updates will be in their computer. They should be able to tell you about all the updates out for your sled and all the service bulletins.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts