Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
ok i'm going to start from the beginning bought the sled ran good at sellers house drove it home started it up reversed it off the trailer realized reverse linkage was broken but sled still ran great. couple of days later I bought a battery got to repairing reverse linkage got that all fixed started the sled up ran great reverse worked great so i'm thinking COME ON SNOW so i kept the battery on a trickle and parked it 1 month later where i live anyways the temperature got to -14 to -18 very cold right well i went out to the sled to start it up it wouldn't even fire battery went dead after trying for a while. So started from the beginning yes there is bright blue spark fuel was getting to cylinders the plugs where wet so i'm thinking flooded or the plugs are fouled to much, so before i replaced the plugs or unflooded it i waited 1 week left the plugs in. now the temperate is +1 much warmer so i went and tried to start the sled but first i took the spare plugs out and checked the gaps and realized previous owner got MM AND INCHES MIXED UP the gap for the BR9ES is 0.45mm(.018")the previous owner had them at 0.045"(1.2mm) so the gap was three times bigger then recommended so i pulled the sled plugs out one was good one 1 a bit to much and the third was .045" which is way to big. so i regapped those plugs put back in the sled and it fired right up and idled great SO how much of an effect on these sleds does the temperature effect starting (just remember the sled did start in warm temperature with badly gapped plugs but not -14)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Sounds like the previous owner wasn't really on top of things. That being said, sled motors are like any other internal combustion gas engine. They all require a little more fuel to start when the ambient temperature is cold.
If your sled is in good state of tune it should fire up well with just a couple pulls on the cord or a few turns with the electric starter with no problem.
Move the choke lever to the first on position and give her a yank or hit the starter switch. In really cold weather you might need to flip the choke lever all the way on but this isn't always necessary. Flip the choke off after the motor has run a few seconds. If it stalls repeat the process. Treat it kindly for the first couple minutes. I always wait until the temp. gauge has risen some before hammering the throttle.
Lynn

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the thing i did close the choke all the way and it would not fire not even a quick spark now with temperature better it starts we will see once the temperature drops again with the plugs properly gapped

1 - 3 of 3 Posts