Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1998 Formula Z 670 starting issues

13K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  kode88 
#1 ·
1998 Ski Doo formula z 670, this thing is a PAIN to start, I can prime the heck out of it and it will rumble like its going to start, then stall. It seems the only way it will start is by holding the throttle wide open and pulling 20 times, Any ideas ? why its such a pain ?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Dirty carbs and worn needles and seats. You are flooding it with too many pumps on the primer.
I only prime it maybe 4 times before pulling, carbs were cleaned in december..... by the previous owner, so if i clean out the carbs, and/or replace the needles and seats, this thing will fire up pretty much every time ? or, just cleaning the carb, would that solve it ? i'm new to the snowmobile scene, not very experienced, in the motors aspect.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Alrighty, thank you for the input, appreciate it
You're welcome. Something to remember is all of the rotax engines have their own starting procedure.IE. Primer pumps. throttle cracked or wide open when warm. For instance if I pumped my primer 4 times my crank case would be flooded and would foul the plugs .This sounds like what is happening to your 670.

Try 2 pumps and 2 pulls cold and 0 pumps and crack the throttle when warm

#9 ·
ski doo owners manual says to prime it 3 to 4 times on the primer so i always prime 4 times lately, and yeah i go through alot of plugs, like 8 thus far with about 2 weeks worth of riding, i resort to "starting fluid" in the plug holes, its a pain in the rear and even that doesn't always work. my recoil took a dump, i replaced that with new paws and springs, and lo and behold like 2 days later, the recoil starts sticking, i'll get a few good pulls then the cord will stick and i gotta pull on it a few times till she goes back in.....the compression on this thing is crazy, compared to the 440 mxz i had when i was 15... no smooth pulls just two arms and ur whole body into it

#16 ·
I had asked this question, on another topic, But there is a Red Wire which runs down the hood from the head light area down the interior up into the ignition area that was severed when my belt blew, Does anyone know what this wire represents ? is it vital ? headlights work, sled still runs....just curious what the wire that was severed had to do with the sled,

#17 ·
Okay, primed it twice today, pulled the heck out of it, 5 times no dice, no attempts to start with the dual prime, however, i bust out the starting fluid and we have ignition after a dozen pulls, How many hours (ball park figure) will it take, to pull both carbs, disassemble them, clean them out good and reassemble ? Wishing skidoo made a choke instead of a primer for this sled.

#18 ·
Okay, primed it twice today, pulled the heck out of it, 5 times no dice, no attempts to start with the dual prime, however, i bust out the starting fluid and we have ignition after a dozen pulls, How many hours (ball park figure) will it take, to pull both carbs, disassemble them, clean them out good and reassemble ? Wishing skidoo made a choke instead of a primer for this sled.
Lol. Ski Doo does make sleds with chokes and they get dirty carbs just as often as the sleds that have the primer. Don't freak out it's not a big deal to clean the carbs. It should be done yearly. And sleds, like yours that haven't been maintained properly it may take a couple times.

#20 ·
A clean workbench or table. Put a clean towel or old tshirt to work on . A compressor with a squirt nozzle (25lbs ) Can of Carb and Choke cleaner

Watch this one first. shows airbox removal and clutch guard removal

Watch this second,,Lacking in terminology but shows some good points

#21 ·
I'll find you a link to a video to watch and will answer all the questions you wanna ask...
Thanks alot, i appreciate your input and help, alot. The previous owner alleges that the sled sat for 4 years without being used and that he cleaned the carbs yearly, but judging from the foot of leaves in the hood belly, i suspect that not to be true, i bought it in december, and the guy primed it a few times, fired right up, every since i have been trying it, the thing has been a royal PAIN in the you know what, Thanks again. fellow Michigander

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks alot, i appreciate your input and help, alot. The previous owner alleges that the sled sat for 4 years without being used and that he cleaned the carbs yearly, but judging from the foot of leaves in the hood belly, i suspect that not to be true, i bought it in december, and the guy primed it a few times, fired right up, every since i have been trying it, the thing has been a royal PAIN in the you know what, Thanks again. fellow Michigander
Holy sheet! It sat for 4 years ,,outside,,I'm gonna name this the kode88 project.

#23 ·
Holy sheet! It sat for 4 years ,,outside,,I'm gonna name this the kode88 project.
LOL yupp, outdoors behind a shed......i was surprised it fired the first time when the guy brought it over for the sale, of course he failed to mention that it sat for 4 years (in muskegon they had very little snowfall the last few years) until the sale was complete. I did read that gas would gunk up the carbs after sitting for so long, but again he claimed to have cleaned them every fall, but the evidence suggested otherwise

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.