Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, a couple times this season, my coolant was a little low, maybe a cup or two. Putting it on the trailer for storage, I noticed a little bit of white smoke. It never gets hot, the plugs all look good, so I can't tell which cylinder might be leaking. Is there something that might cause all 3 cylinders to leak a little, like the head needs to be re torqued? This thing only has 2400 miles on it, I don't need to rebuild it, it runs great, just uses that little bit of coolant. Anyone have any ideas what I should do?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Take your pipes off and see if the pipe for the mag side (far right if sitting on sled) looks dry like almost a grayish color. If it is then your water pump seals are leaking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take your pipes off and see if the pipe for the mag side (far right if sitting on sled) looks dry like almost a grayish color. If it is then your water pump seals are leaking.
Yeah, from what I've been seeing on here, that seems pretty common. I was hoping for something a bit easier, LOL!!! Figures I'd have to buy the sled with the crazy triple pipes that make it impossible to work on!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Not saying it doesn't happen but the odds of a bad head gasket are almost nil. I've been playing with these triples for 12 years and have never had one go bad.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes, even if the o rings and the coolant gasket between the top and bottom plate look fine. They never seal the same again.
Just buy a top end set and do them all.

Reactions: Paul Worona

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, even if the o rings and the coolant gasket between the top and bottom plate look fine. They never seal the same again.
Just buy a top end set and do them all.
Makes sense. Don't want to tear this thing down all over again! Do you think I should redo water pump seal at the same time? Seems like I might want to do that also. This is starting to sound like a ton of work!

·
Banned
516 Posts
It's nothing a few beers and a cigar on a Saturday won't take care of. Do you have a manual. You need to torque the head bolts as per brp spec, I have mine at the cottage I can post in a few days. I can imagine one of the guys on here has it on hand

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Here's how I see it. If you suspect the cylinder cover is where your leak is, just do the o rings. That's an easy job. If that doesn't work, then (I think) the motor has to come out to do the pump seals. You can re-use the cover o rings at this point 'cause you know they are new.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's how I see it. If you suspect the cylinder cover is where your leak is, just do the o rings. That's an easy job. If that doesn't work, then (I think) the motor has to come out to do the pump seals. You can re-use the cover o rings at this point 'cause you know they are new.
Good idea, I think that's a good way to start! I guess 16 years and never touching a wrench to this thing just has me nervous about tearing into it. I'm pretty good at maintenance and adjustments, not so sure about the heavier stuff!

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Yup. Pics. When you get the cover off, immediately take good pics of the under side and of the top of the cylinders. Smart guys will likely be able to tell you where a leak was.

Toughest part is those pipes. You'll get good at it soon enough. I hate those pipes. They look pretty good when shined up though.

Oh yeah, don't forget to drain some coolant off before pulling the cover. I just stick a siphon tube into the res and get it to feed a couple inches into the bottom coolant hose. Siphon til it stops and the level in the engine will be below the cover.

Reactions: gpt

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Good idea, I think that's a good way to start! I guess 16 years and never touching a wrench to this thing just has me nervous about tearing into it. I'm pretty good at maintenance and adjustments, not so sure about the heavier stuff!
There is a head bolt torque sequence which must be followed when installing the head. I recommend you find the diagram and remove the bolts in the opposite order of installing and torquing them.

Lynn

1 - 20 of 20 Posts