Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
My friend brought over 2 1998 500 FC Long Tracked Electric Start, RER 2-up sleds over last night. They are both extreemly clean and have about 3000 miles on them. Build Date shows..... October 1997.

One of them have the synthoms of a bad voltage regulator. (blown bulbs, and it looks like the hand warmers got very hot hot hot at some point and time. I looked breifly but failed to locate the regulator.......if someone can give me a idea where to find it,that would be great.....also a part number for the replacement as well.....Thanks

Now the other one has no spark at all. I checked all the connections ie : ignition modual, key, kill switch, and tether cord. I'm guessing that the ignition mod might be bad (looks like a single type coil/cdi pack with the spark plug leads connected also. Is it likely that the pak is bad or is there another internal pick-up unit that could be bad? Again part numbers would be great so I can begin the search.

Both sleds have been stored indoors and as I mentioned before....they are really nice....

In the next day or two I might try to swap the two coil packs....for verification.

Any and all help is appreciated!

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
My friend brought over 2 1998 500 FC Long Tracked Electric Start, RER 2-up sleds over last night. They are both extreemly clean and have about 3000 miles on them. Build Date shows..... October 1997.

Any and all help is appreciated!
Great score , I probably have a used module , if that turns out to be your problem . Pictures please .

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Great score , I probably have a used module , if that turns out to be your problem . Pictures please .
Thanks, I'll get back on them on Satuday. I'll try to post a pic of the Modual if that what it ends up being. Any idea about the voltage regulator? (physical location)

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
I tryed to find it on my SLE last night without success , they are usually near the recoil but I couldn't see it .

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
My 98 fan Is under the motor right under the recoil. May be the same.

Just throwing it out there
Jimbob
Thanks, I did find it under there tonight and swapped it out.

Also swapped out the Ducati Energy box's and still no spark. Took apart all the wire connecters that I could find and reconnected....still no spark. Any clues as what to look for behind the flywheel?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Thanks, I did find it under there tonight and swapped it out.

Also swapped out the Ducati Energy box's and still no spark. Took apart all the wire connecters that I could find and reconnected....still no spark. Any clues as what to look for behind the flywheel?
Try to unhook kill button, had a cat do that once. Also check key ignition under hood to see if it is plugged in all the way.

Don't ask how I know about that one
Jimbob

·
Registered
279 Posts
If still no spark after unhooking the kill switch then most likely the issue is behind the flywheel.....stator, pick up to stator .

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like ther is a problem behind the flywheel. Thanks for your suggestions, and help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts