Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1997 Mach Z no start

423 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  KeithD
Alright, I've had 1997 Mach Z (F-chassis, 809 engine) in my garage for 2 years. At the end of the season before last, the upper rad clamp on the coolant bottle loosened off and spilled coolant over the cdi and that general region of the sled. I noticed this just as I pulled the sled into my driveway. I hit the kill switch and the sled hasn't started since. Since then the sled hasn't started, or even fired.

The sled has visable spark, but not a lot in comparison to my other sled.

What do I need to do to diagnose and repair this problem? I don't have a lot of electrical testing tools, but I can find a multimeter if I need one. I do have a shop manual with resistance values, but don't know what or where to test.

Could this be a stator problem? I hear they are notorius for biting the dust on these sleds? Would there still be spark of the stator died?

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
if the stator cashed out, then you wouldnt have any spark.
thats what generates the spark, and a step up voltage box, aka the coil.

If the coil isnt functioning, it either wouldnt work or have weak spark.
I'd test the coil.
It`s gota have bad fuel in there also,I`ll bet carbs are green and gummed up!I`d pour a touch of fuel in each cylinder and see if it fires,just for sh&%s and giggles.(new spak plugs)
It`s gota have bad fuel in there also,I`ll bet carbs are green and gummed up!I`d pour a touch of fuel in each cylinder and see if it fires,just for sh&%s and giggles.(new spak plugs)
Carbs are clean, spark plugs and fresh fuel make no difference, no fire whatsoever

The sled has 3 coils, could all of them simaltaneously died?
Carbs are clean, spark plugs and fresh fuel make no difference, no fire whatsoever

The sled has 3 coils, could all of them simaltaneously died?
[/quote]
aren`t cdi`s a problem on these sleds?On my friends 98 mach one it`s underneath the motor
See less See more
With all of the pulling, have you flooded the engine? Pull a plug and see if its wet. If so, burn the excess fuel off of all the plugs with a propane torch. This also warms the plugs and makes it easier to start.

With visible spark and assuming you have compression, I'd say fuel. Make sure your lines are clear, tank filter is not plugged, etc.

Try a little fuel in each cylinder like bdaddy said.
You can still have a weak spark if the stator is on it's way out. One way to check is to look at the spark when it's dark out and pull it at a slow to medium speed. If it looks orange and dim it might be cooked.

magneto:
blue-yellow to white-yellow 190 - 300 Ohms
white to red 49-75 Ohms
white to black-red 2.8 - 4.3 Ohms

ignition coil:
black to white-blue 0.3 - 0.7 Ohms
High tension wire 8000 - 16000
THank you! I will check the values and report back!
a little antifreze coolant spilled onto the cdi box will not cause it to fail, i don't buy that.
if the sled ran when it was put away, i'm sure the spark is fine. i guess it's best to check out the spark with
your multimeter and see what you have there.
when you say the carbs are clean, are the jets clear also? any sled with 2 year old gas in it will have a pluged pilot jet for sure and possibly a pluged main jet also. a sled with a pluged pilot jet will have a very hard time to start.
could it be possable that mice have made a nest in the muffler over this 2 yr period, you said it has spark. i'm just adding this because my freind had this happen to him and his sled wouldent run either and his had spark.
could it be possable that mice have made a nest in the muffler over this 2 yr period, you said it has spark. i'm just adding this because my freind had this happen to him and his sled wouldent run either and his had spark.
The sled didn't run when I put it away, this is not a problem that has developed over the past two years.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.