Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all new to Dootalk, looks like a good site. I bought a 1997 formula 3 this year fairly cheap, sled needed minor work which i already did. Took it out a few days ago and noticed oil dripping from the underbelly the day after. Did some research and read these sleds you really need to watch the oil lines. I did some looking and did find the oil lines are old, and broken by the oil pump. I removed carbs and traced lines, My question, do i need to remove the motor to replace these lines or can it be done on board? The sled ran great, I'm not loosing a lot of oil but from the 2-3 places I found leaks, its enough. Any help would be great. I have the manual but it doesn't really get involved with replacing lines. everything else on the sled works great, I have done a few other things like checking certain bearings and all looks good to go. I just want to make sure oil lines are solid before next ride thanks for your input...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just did this last year on my back-up sled (F3). I tried to do it without pulling the engine and it is nearly impossible. I ended up pulling the mounts and rolling the engine forward to get at them. Mine were barley seeping but when I took them off they crumbled into dust so don't wait to do it. Make sure to purge all the air out when you are done, all the way to all injection points.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Someone else just asked this very question a couple days ago. They got mixed answers on this some guys said you have to pull the motor others including myself said it can be done with the motor still in the sled. I had a 97 f3 and had to replace the lines. I did it with the motor in the sled, was it easy no not by any means. Can it be done? Yes
Removing the motor for a seasoned vet takes about an hour maybe less if your in a hurry. Then 10 min to replace lines, the problem is it's the 15 other things you find that need fixing that turn it into a 3 day project. Then reinstalling the motor takes 2-3 hours. Clutch alignment if you don't have the tool takes a while. Then adjusting throttle and oil pump. None of it's hard just takes time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts