Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I hope someone can help me. The 1998 cylinder on pto side had something get into the cylinder and it made a bunch of like ink pen end sized dents in the head and on top of piston. The ring seemed to be alright, thinking maybe a chunk of ring broke and caused the problem. The jug looked pretty good (no gouges or groves or scratches) so I bought a used head and piston just to see what would happen. Well same thing I took both jugs off and there was quite a bit more play in crank bearing on pto side So it being early in the season I picked up a 2000 MXZ 700 and rode that. I happened to run across a whole 1997 motor on craigslist. I had someone pick it up for me and the case is different between 1997-1998 mainly from what I can see is the ignition is different. Which can I change stator from one to the other? The pickup coil is in the same spot. Also I am wondering if the rotary valve timing is different? There is another difference there is a hose barb that comes out near where the wires come out from the stator. It is at a 90 degree angle facing the pto side. I have the shop and parts manuals for both engines and I cannot seem to see what connects to it. I tried to blow through it and I can. Is it some kind of vent for the area around the flywheel? So I am wondering if someone could point me in the right direction? Or would know of someone here that would know? I am new and don't know what to do? Your help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I/we will have to assume that you do in fact have a 97 and a 98 engines ( some times engines etc get switched over the years).

There really is no difference in pistons, heads or cylinders. The ignition is actually the same, it just has different plugs(connectors). You can swap complete ignition system or just the wire ends if you wish. The port on the crank case is a "nothing" if you do not have a summit with the HAC ( high altitude compensator). It just should be capped off but not a must.

If the engines are both originally from a Formula Z, Formula deluxe, MXZ or grand touring the rotary valve timing is all the same, the Summit engines have different valve timing.

Reactions: LETMGROW and MrGutz
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to thank you for your help on this. I do in fact have both engines. I knew they couldn't be that different like you say. It was bugging me because I wanted to finally ride it. This has been a pain for me and now the mystery is solved lol. Again I thank you for your help....and have a good one!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts