Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just rebuilt my 583, now can only get to fire on Mag side. Switched plugs, and coil, still only firing on one side. Motor runs, took clutch side plug wire off, still runs, take mag side off, and it dies right away. Had rotary valve off - if timing was way out, would one side still fire? Lots of spark and compression, just will not fire. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
414 Posts
you have spark at both plugs?? is it a fat blue spark?? flywheen could be dirty if no or barely spark. Got fuel to that carb?? is plug wet when you pull it after running??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
both plugs have lots of spark. Fuel going to both sides. If timing was that far out that PTO side wouldn't fire, would Mag side fire either?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK Guys, here we go again. After pulling head off, I noticed ring had spun around 180 degrees. After posting in another forum about my problem, I was informed that SPI pistons were known for losing the locater pin. Pulled the piston out, and thats what had happened. Went back to shop and got a new one. Double checked locater pin, was in good. Put motor back together, fired her up, and still only running on mag side? Plug has lots of gas on it, and lots of spark? What the hell is going on? Starting to get a little aggitated. Any ideas? Anybody?

·
The 02 REVOLUTION
3,892 Posts
Check compression and rotary valve timing.

·
Registered
269 Posts
are you sure about the crank seal for the pto side ??? compression test will not reveal that issue. crank it up and hit the pto seal area with starting fluid. if that cylinder catchs even a little...you know what you have to do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You guys were right on the money! Pulled carbs apart and clutch side was bone dry. Floats were stuck and no gas was getting in. Ripped them right down and gave everything a good cleaning. Sled fired right up after two pulls on the weekend. Went back there yesterday and all of the gas had drained from the tank into the motor. Puled out plugs and gave it a pull, and gas fired 10 feet in the air? I guess I don't know how to put them back together.

·
The 02 REVOLUTION
3,892 Posts
Replace the needle and seat. Soak the carbs overnite in a good parts cleaner like "Hydroseal" by GUNK from the autoparts store.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts