Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there many parts off of a 1996 Skandic 500 that will switch over to a 2001 Skandic 500? Just picked up a 2001 Skandic 500 SWT thats pretty beat up runs good though. I have a chance to get a 1996 with no motor cheap. Will the hood switch over from the 96 to the 01?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know if the hood/windshield will fit on the 01? I need those so if they did that would really make it worth it. Thanks for the replies!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
The hood fits yes.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Unless you're getting the 96 for free, it may not be worth it. Having the junk around the house and the parts that you can use are probably limited.

The skid might be worth it, but check the H arms (where the shocks attach to) and make sure they are in good shape. Most bend, crack or break.

- Since the 2001 has pogo stick and the 96 will have trailing arms, about the only thing up there possibly is the tie rods and/or tie rod ends.

- Are they really the same hood?

- Rear suspension - This would depend on the track (standard, WT, or SWT) to some extent. If both tracks are the same, I think the 2001 is articulating rails. So it would be a step backwards on the 96.

Good grief, the more I look at this, no, it wouldn't be worth it at all. You'd have an empty 96 chassis that not much would really work.

http://www.ski-doo.com/Archives/english/archives_2001/pdf/Skandic_2001_LT.pdf

That is a lot different than the 96. There are certain things that *might* fit, but everything is better on the 2001.

·
7,718 Posts
Alright alright... personal confession, I thought they were both SWT's?! But the first year for the SWT was 1997.... is the 1996 a 15" track S2000 chassis Skandic?

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Yes. A friend of mine had a 96 Skandic 500 and it was pretty much identical to the Touring E that I have except color. I thought the front suspension was different, but it turns out the color was the reason for the different part numbers.

I know his Skandic seemed to sit higher in the front than my Touring, but I never had the two together long enough to figure out why. His daughter ran his into a telephone pole and took out the entire left side. He sold the motor for what he owed on the machine at the time and gave me the rest of it (sans track, he sold that too). I've used the good trailing arm and his skid in the Touring E.

·
7,718 Posts
Yes. A friend of mine had a 96 Skandic 500 and it was pretty much identical to the Touring E that I have except color. I thought the front suspension was different, but it turns out the color was the reason for the different part numbers.

I know his Skandic seemed to sit higher in the front than my Touring, but I never had the two together long enough to figure out why. His daughter ran his into a telephone pole and took out the entire left side. He sold the motor for what he owed on the machine at the time and gave me the rest of it (sans track, he sold that too). I've used the good trailing arm and his skid in the Touring E.
Yes, I know about the similarities between the Touring/Skandic from 95-2000, but thanks.

My question was for the thread starter; is the 96 Skandic he's looking at a WT/SWT (Yeti chassis) or a 15" Skandic on the S2000 chassis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts