Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Formula had a little problem the other night and we lost alot of anti-freeze from the system. I replaced the broken piece and refilled the res. Took it out tonight and it's overheating real bad. It's acting like there is no coolant in it, but the res. is full. Is it possible to have air trapped in the system or does this sound like a water pump issue? Does anyone know how to pressurize the system to push air out? I got under the sled and the heat exchangers were cold and covered in snow as if there is no hot liquid flowing through them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RB

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sounds like air. Drive her up on a snow bank. Make sure the front is off the ground 2+ feet. If you have a tilt trailer I quess that works too. Start her up and let it run for some time. Fill as required.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jak_nelson said:
Sounds like air. Drive her up on a snow bank. Make sure the front is off the ground 2+ feet. If you have a tilt trailer I quess that works too. Start her up and let it run for some time. Fill as required.
[snapback]257948[/snapback]​
Thanks Jak_, I'll give it a try tomorrow morning. She's already on the tilt trailer, so it shouldn't be too tough.

RB

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I put the sled up on the trailer and let it run until it got hot and nothing happened. So, I took it off and drove it around the yard about 10 times watching the guage slowly move towards the red. I got under and checked the exchangers and the snow was melting off this time, but the hoses still feel like there is air in them. I stuck my finger in the coolant and it was hot, but not so hot that it hurt my hand. Is there any way to pressurize these systems like a car and flush it out, or does this sound like something else. How often do the thermostats fail on these sleds, and is there any easy way to test the water pump?

·
Registered
446 Posts
did you run it with the cap off on the trailer.

Might want to check you thermostat just to be sure. I checked mine a week ago. Opened up @107 deg like it should. Took my sled out to do. she got nice and hot. pulled the hose off the thermostat housing and nothing. she didnt open. cost about 29$ at the dealer.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jak_nelson said:
did you run it with the cap off on the trailer.

Might want to check you thermostat just to be sure. I checked mine a week ago. Opened up @107 deg like it should. Took my sled out to do. she got nice and hot. pulled the hose off the thermostat housing and nothing. she didnt open. cost about 29$ at the dealer.
[snapback]259445[/snapback]​
Yeah, I took the cap off and it's still overheating. How did you test the thermostat, hot water?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yeah, hot water. Do not just set it in. You have to suspend it with wire so the thermostat does not touch the can, pan or whatever you are doing it in. Talk to your dealer about the opening temp. Proably 107f, but im not sure. Im new to this game. My first year owning a sled.

You need a thermomiter to check the temp of the water. it it does not open at the rated temp, get a new one. you have to also check the closing temp. let it cool down 10 deg past opening temp, if it does not close @ 10 deg cooler, get a new one.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, she's still overheating. I've come to the conclusion that it's not air trapped in the system, but possibly exhaust being pumped in. I've seen some stories on here about an o-ring somewhere in the motor that can fail and cause exhaust seepage into the coolant. Could someone please explain where this o-ring is, how to replace it and/or how difficult a job it is. My girlfriend is getting upset that she cannot ride, and I've tried just about everything I know.

Thanks,

RB

·
Registered
79 Posts

Mine did the same thing last year. I tested my thermo and nothing!! Changed it out and she's been good ever since. Good luck! I bet it's your thermo!

cbrburns said:
Well, she's still overheating. I've come to the conclusion that it's not air trapped in the system, but possibly exhaust being pumped in. I've seen some stories on here about an o-ring somewhere in the motor that can fail and cause exhaust seepage into the coolant. Could someone please explain where this o-ring is, how to replace it and/or how difficult a job it is. My girlfriend is getting upset that she cannot ride, and I've tried just about everything I know.

Thanks,

RB
[snapback]289022[/snapback]​

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mines been running hot, sometimes more than others and I ordered a new thermostat. For the cost it's not worth taking a chance.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, but I'm getting flow through the system. When I look in the res. it's flowing through just fine. I'm guessing that if it was the stat, I wouldn't be getting any circulation.

·
Registered
79 Posts

My guess is that you will still get flow just not through the heat exchanger when cold but I could be wrong. I mean when I start my sled I get flow immediatly after start up and thermo is still closed for sure. Look closer and size it up.

cbrburns said:
Thanks guys, but I'm getting flow through the system. When I look in the res. it's flowing through just fine. I'm guessing that if it was the stat, I wouldn't be getting any circulation.
[snapback]289379[/snapback]​

·
Registered
216 Posts
My sled over heated at the beginning of the season and I ended up sticking a ring in the process but annyways I would chesk the thermostat when mine went bad their was coolant flowing to the resavor just not a hole lot

·
Registered
83 Posts
cbrburns said:
[snapback]289379[/snapback]​
When the stat is closed, it by-passes the heat extangers and sends the coolant out of the motor back to the resivor, so that dosen't really rule it out. but if you can see it flowing- water pump's good. And you said there's no air. And it's not going through the extangers, sounds like a stat to me.

·
In Search Of PAH!
1,853 Posts
Why don't you try removing the stat completely, and see if you still have overheating issues? That'll tell you if there's something wrong with it.

If you keep it out, just make sure to let it warm up for a while before riding if it's really cold out.

I have problems with my gas gauge every few years or so. Most of the time it's the sending unit in the gas tank, the very thin wires in it like to short out or break. You can easily test the sending unit by taking your seat off, remove connector that goes to sending unit, and then measure the resistance in the wires. Use a coat hanger or something to move the float in the tank up and down, and see if there's a change in resistance. It should go from 120 ohms empty to about 10 ohms full, or something close to that (I don't remember the exact figures...).

Also, check that the fuse under there is still good, and that the wires for the gauge aren't under the aluminum tank brace. I have seen a lot of wires cut apart from being routed under that tank brace.

If it doesn't work right, then replace it or take it apart and see if you can fix it. I usually just buy a used one and try it out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I pulled the stat out last night, but didn't have a chance to run it. I did test the stat in hot water with a calibrated temp readout and it didn't open until 120F, I've heard that it should open at 107 so I ordered a new one. Hopefully that is it, if I have time tonight, I'll try running it without the stat in to see what happens. It hasn't been too cold around here lately so I'm not really concerned about a cold sieze, but I'll definitely let it warm up for a while. I'll post the results once I figure out what's wrong. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been having problems with my 03 mxz 600ho overheating, at least i think shes overheating. The temp light is coming on quite often, especially at lower speeds. how accurate are the temp lights? There always seems to be lots of snow around my coolers ao I don't know what's on the go. How hot do the coolers normaly be? should you be able to keep your hand on them??? Any advice would be great

thanx

1 - 18 of 18 Posts