Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all.

looking for a little knowledge from anyone that can offer some assistance. Just picked up a 1996 Formula III, and new to ski-doo's. (I also own a Vmax)

I just picked up a 1996 Formula III. Taking it up north in a few weeks, so right now it is sitting in the garage.

1. The guy I bought it from used BR9ES plugs, the manuals and NGK website list BR10ES with .022 gap. Which is preferred / correct?

2. Rear suspension. The rear arm has 2 shocks, and the front arm has 1 shock. I am approx 150 lbs, and do mostly trail riding, no high jumps or anything too extreme for me. Where should I have the spring adjuster screws set to on the 3 shocks? What are your preferences? Is there a resourse manual or website with some ideas?

3. Any other useful suggestions? Like I mentioned...new to ski-doo's.

Thanks!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I run the same plugs on my sled, gapped at .019. , runs great.

Thiers no way anyone can answer your suspension set up besides yourself as no two 10 year old sleds are alike with spring fatigue, shock wear etc... Just take it drive it, turn it, ditch bang it and flip the sled on its side, compress or loosen each spring as you feel you need and adjust away to you find what you like!

BTW Welcome to the forum, I'll be trailering out of Milwaukee myself on Thurs to do some
Doo riding through the weekend.

·
Registered
591 Posts
manfrommilwaukee said:
hello all.

looking for a little knowledge from anyone that can offer some assistance. Just picked up a 1996 Formula III, and new to ski-doo's. (I also own a Vmax)

I just picked up a 1996 Formula III. Taking it up north in a few weeks, so right now it is sitting in the garage.

1. The guy I bought it from used BR9ES plugs, the manuals and NGK website list BR10ES with .022 gap. Which is preferred / correct?

2. Rear suspension. The rear arm has 2 shocks, and the front arm has 1 shock. I am approx 150 lbs, and do mostly trail riding, no high jumps or anything too extreme for me. Where should I have the spring adjuster screws set to on the 3 shocks? What are your preferences? Is there a resourse manual or website with some ideas?

Thanks!
[snapback]689925[/snapback]​
0.18 is what is recommended and br9es is fine to run in those sleds. and i would also like to know what to set the socks at for hitting jumps.

·
Registered
183 Posts
manfrommilwaukee said:
hello all.

Thanks!
[snapback]689925[/snapback]​
The manual was updated in 97 I believe, the update changed to BR9ES plugs gapped at .18 and from running 87 octane to 92 octane in all triples. Hope this helps. As previously stated you will have to play around with the shocks, either way you will find that the C-7 suspension is only good for one thing, transfer on take off. It will break your back if you find a rough trail.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I owned one of those sleds once and from my experence the 2 rear shocks were to control the stiffness of the ride and the front shock helped with weight transfer. The stiffer the front shock the more it would push the wieght off the skis. Tightening the limeter strap down also helps keep wieght on the skis.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mxzfire said:
I owned one of those sleds once and from my experence the 2 rear shocks were to control the stiffness of the ride and the front shock helped with weight transfer. The stiffer the front shock the more it would push the wieght off the skis. Tightening the limeter strap down also helps keep wieght on the skis.
[snapback]692335[/snapback]​
Thanks. This is the info I was wondering about.... which shock controls what aspect of the ride.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I bought one new in 1996 and it would foul the br10 plugs so I went to the 9's and they worked great for me. I put over 7000 miles on that sled and loved it. Its not great on the bumps or turns that is why I bought my MXZ BUT if you are on good groomed trails fun wow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts