Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im getting intrested in a 1990 Mach 1...Can yous give me some information on it? Like......Pros and Cons???? Anything that isn't that good on it? Please anything will help....Thanks everyone

Koby

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had the same sled - 583 Rave. The engine was a 521 cranckase with 583 jugs. Blew the engine first ride out, but found the problem in the oil reservior, someone dropped one of those little foil sealers from the top of on oil jug in there, it must have plugged the feed to the engine. Once I rebuilt it had it for 2 more seasons. 96 studs and I added plastic skis. It was a rocket, would run with my buddy's 700 triple. Not a very good riding sled needless to say...good memories though. Post a pic if you decide to buy it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Bullet proof motor, with decent power. I had an '89 and rode it for 3500 miles with zero problems. But it has to be the worst riding sled I have ever rode for an independent suspension. If the trails are smooth it rails through the corners, but if they get rough it will tear you up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Pretty much as posted above. Great power and very reliable. Suspention really sucked! Many a sore back on that thing!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't think I would bother, unless you wanted to turn it into a drag sled or something. The suspension is just too dated...on the trails it will kick the sht out of you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Handling isnt really a big deal to me....I mean im only 17 and got a 88 mx but it does fine on the trails and such.....I just want something a little faster....came across a cheap older mach 1....I think I might get it....I love the look of the older ski doos......I think its in my blood lol....but I wanted to know can you pipe a PRS mach 1??? If so who makes a pipe? Thanks guys

Koby

·
Doo Rider
3,170 Posts
yeah you can pipe them. I think Jaws used to make a set. Not worth piping just alot of noise and no noticable gains on my old one. There are some other mods you can do to the sled though. I had mine radared at 100MPH. Like was said, suspension sucked compared to todays rides, but it was a rocket and easy to fix when broke. It was also a beast in the weight department.

http://www.dneperformance.com/tip_abox.html

·
Registered
159 Posts
I guess you dont really care abt how bad the ride is on that old lumber wagon. Let me tell you that they SUCK in the suspention dept. But on the other hand if you are commited to owning one of these things then the first thing I would do is call Fast inc. The makers of the M=10 rear skid and ask them if they have any pipes left lying around. They used to offer many mods for that very sled. The web ad is www.teamfast.com Good luck and dont say we didnt warn you abt that rear skid. OUCH!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had CrankShop make a set of pipes 10 years ago for my friends PlusX. They also set some trail clutching for it and it was impressive. Pipes were 4-450.

·
Registered
795 Posts
did the mach have c-7? cuz i find it very livable and i love going big. and trail with moderate bumps like 1 footers i can zip along at 110 km and it corners way better than my dads mxz 670.very stable platform and will keep the nose down. its has heavy has a elephant lol. i like my 93 formula plus x but mine is newer so maybe it different but its a solid sled

·
Registered
159 Posts
The 90 mach had a goofy mono shock rear skid that wasnt around long. It was replaced by the C-7 which wasnt much better. OUCH!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts