Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lets see how many pictures I can fit per post.

These first pictures are of the snowmobile where it sat for nearly a decade under a tarp, rarely started but turned over probably every year. My Gfs grandfather broke the track and never bothered to get a new one, so when our kid was born he gifted us with a project. With sandblast, paint, fiberglass and a 1090 CAD$ track I invested about 1300$ on it.
Plant Tree Vehicle Wood Biome
Plant Tree Motor vehicle Wood Bumper
Plant Plant community Vehicle Motor vehicle Tree
Plant Tree Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

So here I began by removing the seat, gas tank, accessories and slider suspension
Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Car

Rodents has munched the teflon sliders, I don't know if they were still usable, but considering the price of the new track, I didn't want to be cheap and regret it, I got new ones.
Automotive tire Tire Road surface Asphalt Wood

Some body hit a stump really bad and the frame was cracked in the front and the undercock was quite damaged, the underneath has a sheet of roofing metal bolted on as a quick fix and the same for the exhaust side that was completely melted through. I had never worked with fiberglass and did what I could, but it's not pretty, in the end (before installing it) I coated it all with gravel guard.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive tire Hood

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Waste container Vehicle

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

stay tuned for the rest.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I Tried to buff it out myself and sandblast with my small 90psi sandblaster but got sick of it. I mig welded all the cracks I could see before sending it to get sandblasted for like 60$ but I found more after when it was cleaner.
Road surface Wood Grass Flooring Floor

I got it powdercoated/cooked and I'm not an "original piece" restoration kind of guy so figured I wanted ppl to know right away that I worked hard on this doo. I figured 'John deere green' was a color accessible for touch-ups.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

hey why not. engine mounts (had tape to cover the rubber), crank cover and chain case cover were painted orange to match the cabin.
Green Solution Fluid Liquid Juice

I didn't mess with the engine, all is well. started good before I started the project. I deleted the 2stroke oil injector thing cause my inlaw grandfather would put mixed gas AND 2 stroke in the reservoir. Paranoid man but I don't trust such a system either.
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Wheel

I frabricated myself a nice lip to reinforce the sides of the undercock our of 1/8th inch thick sheet metal I had. painted it. got everything riveted in.
Hood Automotive tire Toy Bumper Motor vehicle

I decided to put the leftover dry fiberglass cloth on the side to prevent the echaust from melting the side again, i think there used to be a heat shield. So that's all those rivets on the side.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

The skis were banged up and cracked and I asked my welder friend to fix something up while I helped him work on his truck. thick piece, we also made our own slider rails after the reinforcement; and they dig, just how i like it.

Wood Engineering Hardwood Metal Machine

Wood Automotive design Motor vehicle Gas Engineering

They were sandlabsted on the same time as the frame, this isn't a chronological post, but I'm trying. No primed, john deere green with a clear coat.
Hood Bumper Wood Gas Automotive exterior

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Helmet

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And finally, lucky me, my father-in-law is an upholstery maker and so I asked my Gf what color seat she wanted and she wanted a nice purple. I'm not sure how many pictures I have of the completed project. I was just looking forward to running it. I made the seat longer so we can both sit on it with the baby and the dog too.
Motor vehicle Wood Hood Tints and shades Engineering

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

I didn'y do it cause it wasn't necessary, but I intend on priming the outer-cabin and painting it a matching purple, But I'm not sure what kind of paint to use on plastic, and it's not a very common color for outdoor winter used, you know? Any suggestions? cause now it's looking like the original green goblin instead of the hulk.

·
Registered
152 Posts
That is coming along nicely!

When you had the motor out, it would have been a good idea to replace the crank seals on a motor that old and not run for that long. It would have saved you from having to pull the motor back out and do it down the road.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is coming along nicely!

When you had the motor out, it would have been a good idea to replace the crank seals on a motor that old and not run for that long. It would have saved you from having to pull the motor back out and do it down the road.
Thanks alot Snowmoer, Like I said it's been done for a year, I'm just not good with remembering to take pictures. But now the itch is back so I'll be getting it out and ready soon and I'll do that.

I didn't know much about the engine and really didn't want to take to risk of loosing any important parts (C-clips and stuff) so I just self-displined myself to let it be, cause I would have opened it up, but that wasn't the issue. But honestly, especially with the oil pump/reservoir deletion, it's really no hassle to take off ( three bolts and the carburetor). And I might do that anyway if I figure a way of fixing my tie-rod issue* to access it better. Simply put, the outer tie-rod screws either don't fit flush enough into the center's threads; or the screws aren't long enough and are always hanging on the end of the screws It has a bigger loose than I'd want because of this.

Any advice on painting plastic snowmobile hoods? I figure that it's best the way it is because the plastic is molded orange, The issue was we couldn't find orange fabric, go figure. If it lasts at least a couple years, I'd have the satisfaction of color consistency. It's not a dragster, gotta give it something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts