Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1986 Citation LSE - No Spark At All - Changed almost everything

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  ScoobyDoo519  
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey Guys, I'm new to the site and I hope someone can assist with an issue I have.

I recently rebuilt an 86' Citation LSE and had her running like a charm last week, started with the key no problem, However, I did notice some issues with the headlight being very dim and figured I should get a new Volt Regulator for it. It was then that I seen 2 wires coming from the engine going to the wrong connections . (yellow to brown) and (Black to yellow) Should have been (yellow to yellow & Black to Brown) - My own stupid fault. :sad_old: Swapped the wires around and started up again no problem.

That said, I went to start it the other day and had absolutely no spark, no matter what I did. So I got a new VR and spark plug coil and checked continuity to all wires involved and still no spark. I went thru all the wires again and all seemed fine. Still no spark!! :angry_old: :angry_old: So frustrating cuz I put so much work into her and it was running fine. :angry_old: :angry_old:

So could I be looking at an issue with the internal generating coil due to the crossed wires? I am getting light from the bulbs when I turn it over so I know the lighting coil is good.... right?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JJ

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Sounds like your CDI is done.
HAHAHA!!! :laugh_old: :laugh_old: you were absolutely right. I went home at lunch and swapped it out with a CDI box off of a 1984 Ski doo SS25 and it sparked like no tomorrow. Thanks so much, would have been sh**tty if I had ripped the engine apart to change the coils only to find it wasn't the issue.

Next Question, Can I use a CDI from a 1984 SS25 on a 1986 Citation LSE?

Thanks,

JJ

#7 ·
you pretty much answered your own question if it worked then yes i just want to point out one thing 1984 SS25 had two different cdi's one with a 140W magneto and one with a 160W magneto, if you have the one with a 160W magneto then it's the same cdi as your 1986 citation if it's the 140W magneto the cdi is not the same it's different it has a extra red wire. what wires do you have coming out of the 1984 cdi you swapped out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.