Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 83 Citation SS 377..

It has always ran great untill this year.

When i have a spark tester light hooked up... i pull on it and it will hit 1 or 2 times.

usually on the 3 or 4th pull it wont light.

same thing on both cylinders.

any clues that can shoot me in right direction?

Is it easy or possible to adjust points?

could a bad coil be messing with me?

thanks!

Alex

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
83 is cdi ignition no points. Sounds like stator grounding out or possible bad cdi box. Have you tried unplugging the main engine harness to eliminate the kill and ignition switches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
83 is cdi ignition no points. Sounds like stator grounding out or possible bad cdi box. Have you tried unplugging the main engine harness to eliminate the kill and ignition switches?

No but i will.

the kill switch has been eliminated already tho.. and the tether ..

i am not 100% sure its a 83... thats just what i was told

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Post a pic and or check the id tag on the right of tunnel, if a 83 should be made in 1982

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
If you got a black box under the carb,uts a CDI. And i would bet that the box had gone bad.
X2 on the CDI box very rare the coil breaks down not saying they don't just not as often as the CDI like russellmxz said unplug main harness this will narrow it down to the CDI or coil. just keep one thing in mind there could be a short in the stator this has happened to me with my SS motor. started it up it would run for a bit then just shut off no spark and i would wiggle wires change plugs make sure all the connections where tight so on and so on then out of the blue it would start so i would start riding again and sure enough it would cut out again no spark. So i got frustrated and bought a brand new coil and CDI and bam it started up and off i go riding 1/2 hour in the ride and bam it shut off again no spark what the f&%k i said this time i pulled the motor out and changed the stator and I never had this issue again so long story short it could be the stator but first change the CDI if problem goes away your good to go

1 - 6 of 6 Posts