Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, im new to this site and new to the snowmobiling world when it comes to owning my own sled. over this summer my granfather passed away leaving me with his 1979 everest 440, in extremly good condition i might add. The sled has not seen snow in 8 years and hasnt been started in 5, until the other day when i got it running second pull with the old stale gas that was still in the tank.

as i started it i noticed ( ive done some reasearch ) the mikuni carb i believe is spitting gas out of the vent hose that leave the carburetor. from picture ive seen of this type of carb the vent hose on mine seems to be alot shorter roughly 1.5" so i feel that perhaps an animal has eaten the rest of it which seems to be missing.

i am wondering if anyone out there, which i assume so, has experienced this issue before and what might neeed to be ajusted, cleaned or whatever it might be so i dont loose half a gas tank form this issue. as i am new to owning a sled, im wondering what are so quick maintenace/ tune ups which should be done to the sled prior to taking it out in this nice snow we just got?

i am 19 years and am mechaical incline but have minimal experience with small motor and dealing with carbs.

thank you
Ryan Purdy

Moncton,NB, Canada

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Logically,your problem is your inlet needle not seating properly and letting gas tru.So a good cleaning is in order as well check the condition of the inlet needle,should not see any ridge on the rubber tip.For carb cleaning,use Honda carb cleaner or else.And sled has not been running,replace the pilot jet(smallest jet in carb),the tiny hole are surely blocked completely and hard to clean.Cheap at $ 2-3.00.Check the stamped number on it and ask for the same size at your local Ski Doo dealer or others.And check compression too.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
http://www.vintagesn...es/vmmanual.pdf

# 21 is Pilot Jet and #34 is inlet needle.Be careful when you remove the pin holding the float arm ,do not hit the pin too strong to not break the post holding the pin.The # 34 (inlet seat ) is screwd inside the body,be careful too when unscrewing to not hit the post and break it.The inlet needle is inside # 34.

on page twom think you could number the pieces that you were talking about, cause id be wildly guessing,

·
Registered
224 Posts
If that half a tank of gas is 5 years old get rid of it. You'll be cleaning the carb every time you run it. Follow the post on cleaning your carb, put new fuel lines on it and an inline filter.

·
Registered
416 Posts
HiOctane is right on. I had the exact problem 2 years ago. Carbs spilling gas out the vent lines and even though the carbs were very clean when I took them apart, the fuel inlet needles had crud on the sides and were stuck open.

P.S. My brother rides a '79 Olympique 340 that still runs great and starts 2nd pull every time. Very cool that you've got your grandfather's in great shape.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ill have to take a look at that hopefully tonight! the sled is all out of gas right now, there was very little in it to begin with and burnt it all out in a mateer of 5 minutes idling. is it a 1/50 ratio for these sleds or 1/40 ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If that half a tank of gas is 5 years old get rid of it. You'll be cleaning the carb every time you run it. Follow the post on cleaning your carb, put new fuel lines on it and an inline filter.
Do you think it would need new belt and or the track tightened or ?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I usually put a new belt on a sled once it is running well. Checking track tension is pretty easy and straight forward. I just made the comment on the gas because I used to try to save old gas. I found that carb would constantly plug up until I bit the bullet and cleaned the gas out of the tank and put a filter in the line. I do still take my old gas mix it 4 gallons new gas to 1 gallon old and run it the Briggs and Stratton lawn mower though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts