Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey floks I am currently on a 13 154 summit X with a Trygstad 872 and DJ clutching, the sled is an absolute blast and for the most part takes me where I want to go but of course I have my eye on the new T3's, the question is 174 or 163. All the reviews I have read and whatched say the 174 just plain out performs the 163 which makes sense but I really enjoy the nimbleness of my 154 and I am worried I would be giving that up with the 174. I would love to here comments, especially if you have real world comparisons.

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
I purchased a T3 163 last year. I love it. I think it handles better then my 2012 154 does! That track is unbelievable!! It goes anywhere. I haven't tried a 174, but I can't imagine what it could do. I actually am just doing the 872 kit. Do you like it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ive had a 15 163 T-3 and now a 16 154 T-3. I like the 154 for the reason you said above, it is a bit more nimble feeling than my 163. Sure it wont climb as high, and maynot be able to sidehill steep slopes as easy as a 174, but it sure is a fun sled to go beat around on the mountain.

If you are concerned about being the guy who can get to the top of the biggest hills on a stock sled. Get the 174. If you are more of a freerider who prefers to pound around in open rolling meadows hitting cornices and tries to do burandt hopovers on a open hill, get the 163, or better yet the 154...

Yes the 174 is nimble for such a big sled, and im sure many people who own will tell you that. But the 163 will feel even more nimble...

My opinion anyway

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I actually just sold my 174t3 and am picking up a 154t3. 174 is epic and will go pretty much anywhere you care to take it, for a out of the box sled. But in my opinion, is NOT as fun to ride as my shorter summit. The 174 is made for DEEP snow and unless the pow is completely over the bars deep, its no fun... Haha!! One thing i doo not like about it is how hard it is to wheelie (yes, i know its not built to wheelie). But there are lots of times ya need to get those skiis up in the air and over certain things, and the 12' monster just doesnt like doing that. Needs a lot better power to weight ratio to make that happen. Track speed is another thing that is hard to get used to.. when ya are used to the track speed achieved on a 146x2.5 and go to a 174x3, its a HUGE difference... To spin that much track, ya need more power be it a bb or tbo. Then that dang s36 and tmo is a setup i still dont care for. Too unpredictable unless in fresh deep untouched pow. I stil want a 174 in my stable but it is clear to get one set up as i want it, well as with every other sled ive owned, i need to build it. Expensive!!! Soo, i dropped the 174 now while i could stil get top $$ for it. The 154t3 will fit my everyday riding style a lot better and only require some suspension swapping vs a complete rebuild of a new sled.. hahaha!! Soo, this will keep me content til the new chassis arrives in my garage next fall ????

·
Registered
414 Posts
Have u thought about swapping out the 154" track for a 156" with 3" paddles? Seems like a good option for someone wanting a bit more track and bite, but easy to whip around in tight spots.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have and almost did that last year, but I think I will probably end up just choosing the 163. I like the idea of the factory set up and warranty as apposed to fiddling around with aftermarket, I always seem to add on or change out a ton of parts anyay.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I ride the 15 174 since last year. I'm not tall, just under 6' and I'm not heavy. 160-170lbs (+ 20 with my gear) and I came off a 2011 154 etec to the 174. My riding mostly consists of boondocking and side hilling through the steep trees with some small air, dropping an occasional cornice and floating a small jump here and there with some climbing. If that's what you are doing I'd say 174 all day every day. I am curious about the T3 154 and 163... Haven't ridden them but I see more upside from the longer track. No the 174 is not a wheelie machine but it has never lacked for power and turns those lugs like a CR 500 dirt bike turns its tire. I love the 174 and frankly there was a difference going from the 154 2.5 lug to the 174 T3 and it was all upside for me. Everything including nimbleness was greatly improved and I haven't touched my sway bar where with the 2011 I had to take it out to get it doing what I wanted it to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
790 Posts
Tough choice. Love my 163 T3... I've noticed that it gets me out of trouble that I'd be in with a 154x2.5. I also don't lose much agileness in the trees the 174 might. I've read the 174 is very good on steep side hills and can literally point and shoot. I think the 163 T3 is just right. I'm not looking to make the steepest and deepest climbs, only go as high as I can vs the Polaris then start my side hill into the trees. So really it comes down to what riding you do. If you are going to be doing some steep side hills and steep climbs get the 174 cause you'll be able to take your time and pick your lines in the trees. You'll be more challenged and potentially less tired after a day on the 163.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts